VMware Communities
chrayka
Contributor
Contributor

Vm Fusion 12 Pro don't work ( apple M1 )

Vm Fusion 12 Pro don't work ( apple M1 ) , is there any solution , I keep getting an error message after creating a custom machine .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Correct.

There is no version of Fusion currently available that can power on ANY VM on the M1 processor, and when there is it is intended for supporting ARM OSes, not x86 OSes.

Search in the Fusion area (where this thread should be) for "M1" to read more: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/bd-p/3005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

A version that supports M1 is in the works, preview expected sometime this year.

But two things:  Windows 10 ARM support (and Windows 11 ARM) is dependent on microsoft changing their EULA.  Don't hold your breath.

And Fusion will *never* run x86 operating systems on ARM chips.  

0 Kudos
mlkovacs
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anything new on this?  I need to replace my MacBook Air, and they are not offered with an Intel chip anymore.  I've searched forums, the VMWare FAQ, and I'm not seeing that Fusion 12 Pro is compatible with the M1 Pro chipset.  Importantly, I will run Windows 10 and future OSes in 64bit only.  I'm looking at a 14-in MacBook Pro, with an M1 Pro 10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU, 16GB Unified Memory, 1TB SSD Storage.  I think that this (Fusion Compatibility with M1 Pro Chip) would be a great FAQ for VMWare to have on their Fusion site (https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html).  

I appreciate anyone's input!  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The basic situation is that you cannot run x86-64 or Intel on M1 Macs.  You thus have to be able to run the ARM versions of other operating systems for M1 Macs.  Apple and Microsoft have both stated they will not support Windows on M1 Macs.  Microsoft does not sell a license for Windows on ARM for M1 Macs.  

Parallels "solves this problem" by directing you to sign up for the Windows Insider Program and then you can run Windows ARM preview releases on your M1 Mac.  Note that so far you will never have a licensed general availability Windows release for M1 Mac as neither Microsoft nor Apple want it to exist.  If always running on Windows previews with the risk that Parallels has to keep this unsupported combination working with no assistance from Microsoft or Apple otherwise meets your needs then there you are.

VMware has chosen not to support Windows in their Fusion Preview for M1 Mac given Microsoft and Apple's collective decision.  People are finding they can make Windows ARM previews run on the Fusion ARM Preview and then RDP the Windows VM to use it full-screen.  Given that VMware accepts that Microsoft and Apple have declared they will not support Windows ARM on Mac M1, if the Windows quits working in Fusion VMware is not going to try to fix it.

Those are your (and everyone elses) choices in this matter. It is clear that M1 Mac grossly outperforms any of the "legit" Windows ARM solutions as well as Windows on Intel so I understand the desire to use Windows ARM on M1 Mac.  That said there is no clean clear supported long-term path for doing so.

mlkovacs
Contributor
Contributor

Great and detailed response.  Thank you!  I'll see if I can get a Mac with an Intel chip.  

0 Kudos