VMware Communities
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

Visual Studio 2010 CTP Virtual PC image: freeze on start

Hello,

Microsoft released Visual Studio 2010 CTP as a Virtual PC image. It lists as a requirement Virtual PC 2007 with SP1 applied.

I downloaded the CTP using Safari to a folder shared with a Windows XP VM, extracted it from Windows to the shared folder, then downloaded nightly build of Q and executed

/Applications/Q.app/Contents/MacOS/qemu-img convert -6 -O vmdk -f vpc vpc/VisualStudio2010CTP.vhd vmware/VisualStudio2010CTP.vmdk

Then in Fusion I created a new virtual machine, made it to use existing disk, converted it to new disk format when prompted, then selected Windows Server 2008 as guest OS and assigned 2GB RAM to the VM. At that point I created a snapshot (i.e. right before first start of the VM).

Now I started the VM, the BIOS quick progress bar goes through and then a classic black screen with a cursor in top-left corner appears, just the cursor is not blinking, and from then on the VM stays like that (I waited 6 minutes, no change), and vmware-vmx consumes 100% CPU.

vmware.log always ends with Oct 28 16:49:24.429: mks| SVGA: display status changed, using optimizations for local consoles.

Leopard 10.5.5, Fusion 2.0 (116369), MBP Santa Rosa, NVidia 8600 GT w/ 128MB, 4GB RAM, guest OS is Windows Server 2008, image is Virtual PC 2008 SP1 (includes vhd and vmc file).

I am attaching vmware.log and vmware-vmfusion.log. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Let me download it and walk it through myself; I'll get back to you tomorrow.

borisdusek
Expert
Expert

Thanks, looking forward.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

I almost jumped ouf of my chair when it worked, this is how I did it:

Short story (for the impatient and savvy): extract the downloaded .rar files (sudo port install unrar, unrar e thefile.exe), install VMware Player in a Windows VM (), open the .vpc file (saved in a shared folder) and let Vmware player do the conversion, then edit the .vmx file and drive-0.vmdk to correct the paths, and run in VMware Fusion!

Long story (a.k.a. detailed instructions): .

0 Kudos