VMware Communities
AnonymousUser
Contributor
Contributor

Vista activation

Hi there,

I have read the other threads about bootcamp VMs and Vista and that activation doesn't work like XP. Apparently this will be in a future version? I consider this an important feature for version 1 as Vista has been available for 6+ months!

Please can you give an idea when it will be supported so activation only happens twice?!

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have read the other threads about bootcamp VMs and

Vista and that activation doesn't work like XP.

Apparently this will be in a future version? I

consider this an important feature for version 1 as

Vista has been available for 6+ months!

Please can you give an idea when it will be supported

so activation only happens twice?!

We won't be solving this for VMware Fusion 1.0, due to the timing for the release. I can tell you we are working hard on Vista activation issues, but I can't comment on when we will release a solution that solves this problem. Stay tuned and we will let you know more as soon as we can.

Best,

Pat

AnonymousUser
Contributor
Contributor

Do you think it will be in a patch/minor or major release? In the mean time I will have to use BootCamp exclusively.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Do you think it will be in a patch/minor or major

release? In the mean time I will have to use BootCamp

exclusively.

I am no VMware employer however, I would expect it to be either a patch or a minor release. Nonetheless, as Pat said...we will have to wait...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
adrianjones
Contributor
Contributor

This activation problem is very strange. I used both Bootcamp and Fusion with my Vista Ultimate for some time without problems. Two days ago I went into Bootcamp and Windows reported that it was not genuine and 'tattooed' my desktop with a note to that effect (I suspect this is illegal in some countries). I rang Microsoft here in Bucharest and they had to admit my license was genuine and activated me on the telephone. However the activation fails now in Fusion.

It seems to me that this problem only happened recently so is this something Microsoft has done intentionally to scupper this useage? I intentionally purchased Vista Ultimate as Home Premium does not allow virtualisation under its license (again intentionally added to the license to cause problems for this usage).

Has anyone else noticed that this problem only just appeared with a recent update?

0 Kudos
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

I had Boot Camp and Fusion VM activated... by going the phone route... talking to someone... just deleted my boot camp partition not that long ago.. and today, it said I had three days to activate... and had to talk to the phone people again.... and now its activated... I think this occurs everytime Bill gets a whim to give populations stroke issues... its his way of weeding people who would otherwise benefit from his charities...

0 Kudos
naparjw
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem and sysptoms with Parellels and VMware Fusion. It seems Bill Gates wants us to spend another $350 for a second license to use Vista Ultimate on the same machine via a virtual machine and bootcamp. I thought the licence ment the one machine not one way to access Vista. I feel very cheated by Microsoft.

Ron

0 Kudos
adrianjones
Contributor
Contributor

I checked very carefully the license for Vista Ultimate and we are licensed to use it in as many virtual machines as we wish on one PC. Do you think they consider the bootcamp copy is not a virtual machine? If so this is ridiculous. I also feel cheated by Microsoft because I only upgraded to Vista Ultimate for this. Actually I have more problems now than I had with the Home version!!! Hopefully this is just a technical issue that can be solved but the fact that both Parallels and VMware have the same problem tells me this is Microoft playing around as usual.

0 Kudos