VMware Communities
ginopiazza49
Contributor
Contributor

Viruses

I know that VMFusion 2.0 comes with a year subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus security. Is McAfee VirusScan Plus enough protection? I know that one should protect their Mac too. I was thinking of purchasing Intego's VirusBarrier X5 Dual Protection. Or should I purchase Internet Security Barrier X5 Dual Protection? Does anyone have any experience with either of those two programs?

Regards,

Gino J. Piazza

Port Chester, NY

gjpiazza@optonline.net

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KismetWorldWide
Contributor
Contributor

You definitely need Windows anti-virus software.

You get what you pay for -- there's a reason they are giving a full year of updates away for free. From reading and recent experience, I'd avoid McAfee and Norton at all costs. Generally, NOD32 and Kaspersky have been the highest rated among the things I've read, among my friends and colleagues, and my personal experience. I pay for Kaspersky. (I'm not affiliated with any of the anti-virus company's, and have nothing to gain or lose whatever you choose.)

As far as I can tell, anti-virus software on the Mac is a waste of time, money, and processor cycles. Articles I've read online and discussions with Mac addicts generally confirm this.

No system is ever 100% secure, and each new virus written can infect any system until the anti-virus vendors learn about the virus and update their protection. So no matter what you do, make sure you backup your critical data regularly, and keep those backups somewhere other than your computer or an attached hard drive (i.e. burn DVDs).

I've never heard of Intego, which is probably why they have a Mac anti-virus software. When you start seeing NOD32, Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton offering Mac versions, THEN you should buy one, after you research online.

Asking for info on a support forum is NOT the best way to get an answer, go find some third-party reports that test the anti-virus software, and choose after reading several of those.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
hstagner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello ginopiazza49,

I would not install McAfee anything inside your Windows Guest if you paid me Smiley Wink . I have been using the free Avast Anti-virus for quite some time and I am completely satisfied (low memory footprint, doesn't junk up system, etc.).

As for the MAC. I've been running an iMAC for about 3 years with no anti-virus (no problem).

Don't forget to use the buttons on the side to award points if you found this useful (you'll get points too).

Regards,

Harley Stagner

----------------------------------------- Don't forget to mark this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful (you'll get points too). Regards, Harley Stagner VCP3/4, VCAP-DCD4/5, VCDX3/4/5 Website: http://www.harleystagner.com Twitter: hstagner
0 Kudos