theoderem-olw
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual video devices not useable in virtual machines with Win10 on a MacBook Pro 2019 16", BigSur (

In VMware Fusion Player 12 no virtual Webcams (from ManyCam or LogiCapture) are useable on Macbook PRo 2019 16", BigSur (11.2.3)

In the first run the virtual camera devices were not visible at all in the settings, if I wanted to add a camera.

After I have removed the code signature from /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/ I was able to at least see the virtual camera devices of ManyCam and LogiCapture, but If I have choosen one out this two, the camera device was not added to the VM.

Do I need to add something in the preferences?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dlhotka
Champion
Champion

Virtual video devices are a real problem on Big Sur across the board.  As you discovered, you have to remove the signature to even get them visible.  But remember, Fusion virtualizes physical devices, not virtual ones.  In this case, you should probably connect the video camera hardware to the VM, then run manycam inside the guest.

0 Kudos
theoderem-olw
Contributor
Contributor

Thx dlhotka for the proposal. This is of course a possible solution, but the performance running Manycam within the virtual machine is horrible.

I do not understand, what is the problem to passthrough a virtual device. A virtual device will be registered as a device and if this device would be only passed through to guest operating system it should not be a big deal.

VMware Fusion Pro on HighSierra on an iMac worked perfect.

I will do some more testing with other OS'es in order to see, if it is a general problem of VMware... Also the other way around (Host Windows, OS Windows)

Nevertheless thank you for the confirmation.

@VMware colleagues: You should really think on supporting virtual devices.

0 Kudos