VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Printer Port?

My USB 1020 printer wont work at all. The driver from HP is installed under program files in a folder labeled Hewlett Packard. It did work at one point. Don't really want to reinstall my VM, everything else, besides printers and my own confusion seems to work okay. Printers on the NAT are working fine. Have leopard and Vista Ultimate. So I go to add printer (since I had deleted the icon for my 1020), and select Add a Local Printer and then select Create a New Port and for type of port select Local Port and give the port a name, and then in the next window I select Have Disk and then browse to the folder for the HP 1020 under program files. The icon of the printer shows up in my printers window. But in under printer properties under the port tab it says for description Local Port, while the other ports for USB are decribed as Virtual Printer Ports for USB. So how do I get this type of port?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have leopard and Vista Ultimate. So I go to add printer (since I had deleted the icon for my 1020), and select Add a Local Printer and then select Create a New Port and for type of port select Local Port and give the port a name

According to the directions in the following URL the way you're trying to install is not correct.

0 Kudos
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I've tried it that way too. LPT1 is the type of port listed for 'use existing port'. When you install the printer driver it shows up as icon in the printer window and shows status as 'ready'. It is listed as a LPT1 port, just like when you create a port whatever name you gave it shows up under ports. Neither show up as being a virtual printer port for usb. Aren't these virtual printer ports created for a specific driver / printer? I don't see a virtual printer port listed for the 1020. Maybe that was the problem that occured (and it didn't show up until I switched to Leopard and moved my VM back to the laptop - I can still use my 1020 if I boot from Tiger from my external drive). I tried using a virtual port described as being for the 2015 which I no longer have (in the printer properties port tab), and that wouldn't work either. So how do you go about creating a virtual port, for a usb device that was once functioning and then you deleted and want to reinstall? I tried both LPT1 and LPT2 for existing ports. LPT1 had been for Quicken PDF printer in the description for the port, but now its description says HP 1020, which kinda bites, like how do I restore that? I wonder, if before installing leopard, if I shouldn't have created a restore point in the VM before moving my VM. I made a backup of Tiger, but thats not helping me here. Fusion shows that the USB is connected to the VM for the 1020 (its blue), but it would be nice if Fusion could tell me which port its connected by, if any.

There is that button for Add Port (in the port tab of printer properties) and five types are listed. Would be nice if there were USB virtual type listed. Maybe then I could re-connect my 1020 (which does not work with the Mac). Someone said can I ping it from the mac. Have no idea how you do that.

0 Kudos