VMware Communities
Redspark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine to Boot Camp

Since the Apple ATI bug has crippled my ability to use Windows in VMWare Fusion, I'd like to use Boot Camp until the bug fix is out. Is there any way to transfer my current virtual machine to boot camp and then back again when I've never used boot camp before? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So if I install Boot Camp, I'll still have my VM that I can use when in OSX and I can boot into Boot Camp when I need something 3D accelerated, right?

Licensing and Activation issues aside yes.

BTW You do not install Boot Camp... Boot Camp Assistant is a part of OS X Leopard and it dynamically re-partitions the Mac's Hard Drive to enable you to manually install Windows.

Also once you have Windows installed on the Boot Camp partition you can, if you so choose, use the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine as well although I wouldn't due to the known issues with running a Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine although these issues may not affect how you use your system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The technical answer to your question is yes however it is not necessarily an easy process if you do not have the right tools and knowledge to preform the V2P process and it might just be easier for you to run the Boot Camp Assistant and install Windows natively from scratch and then transfer your User Data via a Backup made from within the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
Redspark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So if I install Boot Camp, I'll still have my VM that I can use when in OSX and I can boot into Boot Camp when I need something 3D accelerated, right? Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So if I install Boot Camp, I'll still have my VM that I can use when in OSX and I can boot into Boot Camp when I need something 3D accelerated, right?

Licensing and Activation issues aside yes.

BTW You do not install Boot Camp... Boot Camp Assistant is a part of OS X Leopard and it dynamically re-partitions the Mac's Hard Drive to enable you to manually install Windows.

Also once you have Windows installed on the Boot Camp partition you can, if you so choose, use the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine as well although I wouldn't due to the known issues with running a Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine although these issues may not affect how you use your system.

0 Kudos
Redspark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Time to backup my VM files and attempt to use boot camp, I guess. Thanks.

0 Kudos