VMware Communities
Pico63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Mac OS 10.14.6

Hi,

I don't know if it is the right board to post my question… 

I just bought a MacBook Pro M2 and I would like to use some older software compatible with OS 10.14.6. Is there a way to make a virtual Mac OS 10.14 compatible with the M2 processor? 

Best Regards, Pico

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@Pico63 10.14 Mojave was the last macOS version to support 32-bit applications. If that “10.14 compatible application” you want to run is a 32-bit app, it will not run under Rosetta on any M1/M2 Mac.

Your only path forward is an Intel Mac. It is the only hardware that can run those 32-bit apps in a VM with older Intel macOS versions.

(and don’t get the idea you can do it with QEMU or UTM to emulate an Intel cpu on M2 Macs. You will not be happy with the performance even if you somehow are able to get it to run). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's impossible to run Sierra or Mojave on an M1 Mac. There are no workarounds. The M1 can't emulate or translate the Intel code in those operating systems. Only Big Sur can translate and run Intel based apps using its Rosetta 2 technology. That said.....  https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization/running_macos_in_a_virtual_machine_on_apple...

0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can't run any Intel-based version of macOS (or any other OS for that matter) in a virtual machine on an Apple silicon Mac (M1 or M2).

Does the software you need to run work on any later versions of macOS than Mojave? You could try to run it under Rosetta 2 on your new Mac.

Otherwise, you'll need an Intel Mac to run it.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@Pico63 10.14 Mojave was the last macOS version to support 32-bit applications. If that “10.14 compatible application” you want to run is a 32-bit app, it will not run under Rosetta on any M1/M2 Mac.

Your only path forward is an Intel Mac. It is the only hardware that can run those 32-bit apps in a VM with older Intel macOS versions.

(and don’t get the idea you can do it with QEMU or UTM to emulate an Intel cpu on M2 Macs. You will not be happy with the performance even if you somehow are able to get it to run). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Pico63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I understand that I should keep my older Intel Mac, in the eventual case I need to access those old 32 bits app one day.

This is helpful to understand. Now, I know !

Thanks, Pico

0 Kudos
Pico63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that's what i needed to know !

0 Kudos
Pico63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution