VMware Communities
chuwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual HD or bootcamp?

Would I get better performance by instaling Windows XP in a VM on my hard disk and booting it in fusion, or by creating a bootcamp partition, instaling XP and booting through Fusion? I like the Virtual HD more because it can expand whereas with bootcamp you set the HD limit, but if booting from a bootcamp partition into Fusion made for better performance then I would do just that :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So a bootcamp HD would have no advantage over a

Virtual HD? This is great to know :smileygrin:

Well...there is one case where the advantage of having a BootCamp partition comes in...when you need to run Windows natively for certain scenario. That is actually the reason why I go with the BootCamp partition and have Fusion use it...but this of course depends on the individual use case...

Ciao, Andreas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I benchmarked my pre-allocated virtual disk containing XP against my XP Boot Camp partition and they are nearly identical.

FWIW, I'm this close >< to archiving my pre-allocated Fusion VM. I would like to experiment with moving it into my Boot Camp Partition as they are identical in size. I think a few people here would like to know how to do that. Smiley Happy

chuwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So a bootcamp HD would have no advantage over a Virtual HD? This is great to know :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So a bootcamp HD would have no advantage over a

Virtual HD? This is great to know :smileygrin:

Well...there is one case where the advantage of having a BootCamp partition comes in...when you need to run Windows natively for certain scenario. That is actually the reason why I go with the BootCamp partition and have Fusion use it...but this of course depends on the individual use case...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
chuwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thats fair enough, thanks for the info :smileygrin:

0 Kudos