VMware Communities
Don2psu
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Disk.vmdk Not Found - File is present

Hello, I have an end user using VMWare Fusion 12.2.1 on a Mac (OS Version - 12.6.1) Who was working on his VM (Windows 10) and then a sudden crash appears to have corrupted his .vmdk file and he's now unable to boot the Win10 VM. 

He receives error: "File not found: /Users/userid/Virtual Machines/localized/O1-VM-WIN10-userid.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk.vmdk"

The Virtual Disk.vmdk file is in the correct folder, however, when clicking on it, receive another error. 

I can collect whatever necessary info/logs/etc, would like to do this without "reimaging" the VM as the user has a Dev environment created within the VM and that would all need to be setup again, even with files backed up, a colossal pain... 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Attach the vmware.log file from that VM.  And, a full file listing of the folder - showing dates and sizes (detail view).

0 Kudos
Don2psu
Contributor
Contributor

Let me know if you need any additional files

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's Virtual Disk-s025.vmdk that got lost.

It's possible to create a "blank" stub file that contains the required metadata. However, that won't bring back the lost data.
If you want to go that way, please attach "Virtual Disk.vmdk" (the small text file) to your next reply.

You may also want to search for the missing file in e.g. lost&found, or the A/V quarantine folder.

André

0 Kudos
Don2psu
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't able to find the file on the machine in Lost&Found, I've attached the .vmdk file 

0 Kudos
Don2psu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, did you receive my copy of the .vmdk file? Let me know if there's anything additional you need. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry for the delay.

The attached archive contains a replacement for the missing file, so that the virtual disk should be recognized as such again.

After extracting/replacing the file, I strongly recommend that you create a VM snapshot, so that the VM's current .vmdk files won't get modified, allowing you to revert to the current state if required.

André

0 Kudos