VMware Communities
jaywilson
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Disk.VMDK Shrinking option

Can someone please help me, so I've installed Ubuntu Linux using VMWare Fusion Pro on Mac and I increased the disk size to 2 TB now when I started the VM Ubuntu, it doesn't load because the disk size is too large, I'm trying to decrease the size it won't let me! Is there any way to decrease, or I got to start all over again? Don't want to lose my recently saved files on it!

1.png

2.png

3.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMTN has an area for Fusion, expect a moderator to move your thread to that area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jaywilson
Contributor
Contributor

I have no clue where to find the VMTN area

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You are in it. The VMTN (VMware Technology Network “sub site” ) VMware Fusion Discussions handles questions about Fusion. 

Fusion won’t allow you to decrease the size of a virtual disk, only increase it.

What’s the exact error message that you see when you say that “it doesn’t load because the disk size is too large”? Did you run out of space on the Mac?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator moved your thread after I reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos