VMware Communities
netmask0
Contributor
Contributor

Video Capture

Hi,

I've been a veteran user of VMware (Workstation, Player, Server, etc.) for many years, even before 1.0 (yes, I used the Beta about 13 years ago...).

I'm using it as a developer to run different versions of Linux and other UNIXes.

So far, I've always ran it under the various versions of Windows.
I'm considering to buy a stronger (than my current) laptop, and use it only as a container of virtual machines, and do all my work only under VMware.

Contrary to the past, this time one of the options (for the host machine) is Macbook Air.

Unfortunately, I understand that the Video Capture feature, which has been supported by "VMware Workstation" for at least 6-7 years, is still missing in Fusion 5.0.

Is it something that is supported by the Pro version?

Is it something that is planned to be added in the forthcoming 6.0?

I know that there are 3rd-party products like Quicktime, but I'm interested only in the built-in "Capture Movie" feature.

My other alternatives are to stay with PC (i.e. to buy another laptop and run VMware under Windows 8), or to do the following: anytime I need a video capture, I'll suspend the VM, copy it to the old laptop, open it under VMware Workstation, and capture. Of course, I prefer to do it directly under Fusion, so I'll be grateful if there is any answer about Cpature support for Fusion Pro or 6.0.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Netmask0,

Thanks a lot for your support to always use VMware Personsal Desktop products so long time, including Workstation and Fusion.  and thanks a lot for your positive feedback!

This feature was a promising feature on workstation platform before , which works very well with a small resolution and there are some known issue with larger resolutions or high bandwidth content as well. with some free 3rd screen/movie capture software coming up,  this feature is not so popular like before.  Therefore, I do not think this feature will  be implemented on Fusion 6.0 and afterwards release.

Instead, you might use third-party  movie recording apps, as you mentioned, ie: Quicktime.

I hope my answer did not make you disappointed and hope to get more  feedback for VMware workstation and Fusion products.

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
netmask0
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful answer!

I can't say that I'm not disappointed; I believe that VMware is the natural place to implement the video capture, even when there are limitations. But that's life...

By the way: when people mention Quicktime (or other apps), does it mean to install it under the host and record the internal VMs, or to install under each internal VM?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

netmask0,

>>>By the way: when people mention Quicktime (or other apps), does it mean to install it under the host and record the internal VMs, or to install under each internal VM?
normally, I would install it on host which might capture a few more operations on  the running VMs and other applications.

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos