VMware Communities
bengwal
Contributor
Contributor

Very very slow Fusion/boot camp performance after VMWare tools install

Background: I'm using an XP boot camp partition with Boot camp 1.2 drivers. this was a Parallels machine as well and still has Parallels tools installed.

After installing VMWare Fusion and adding the Boot Camp partition as a VM in Fusion I immediately was forced to activate. I tried many different ways around this, so I could first install VMWare tools (as directed), but I could not log on unless I activated first. Soooo: I activated XP and THEN installed VMWare tools. After rebooting I've had nothing but problems with the performance from the Fusion side. (There are no problems when the Boot Camp partition is booted natively.)

Is there any way to fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds like the drivers aren't as optimized as they should be.

Or something with the Parallel tools could conflict there.

Try removing the VMware Tools, and to install them again. Does that make any difference?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Is there any way to fix this?

Despite that I would uninstall Parallels tools first. Uninstalling them is just like any other Windows application...using the control panel ('Start' -> Control Panel'). Select 'Add or Remove Programs' and uninstall Parallels Tools. As far as I remember, you have to be in Parallels to actually be able to uninstall them, it won't work in Fusion thus it may not be an option in your case.

The second thing I would try is to delete the whole Boot Camp virtual machine folder. By default, it can be found at '~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp'. Simply drag the folder to the trash can. Next time Fusion starts it should ask you whether you want to create a virtual machine off your Boot Camp partition.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
bengwal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I can't uninstall Parallels tools because I can't boot up into parallels anymore. I was thinking of just deleting the VMWare BootCmp machine (but didn't know how), so thanks for that.

One thing I've noticed since posting yesterday is that VMWare tools systray icon never loads, so I think it must be hanging and may be slowing the system down.

I'll first try the tools uninstall and then the machine deleting and update you guys.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
bengwal
Contributor
Contributor

I guys. Andreas, unfortunately there is no Virtual Machines folder or any other folder that appears to contain a configuration file for my boot camp VM in the VMWare Fusion folder you specified. Any chance it exists in another directory?

I may just uninstall VMWare and reinstall.

0 Kudos
bengwal
Contributor
Contributor

Oops. Looked in the wrong library directory.... I found the VM folder and working on it.

0 Kudos