VMware Communities
Winstone
Contributor
Contributor

Very old VMEM, VMEM.LCK, VMSS Files; What happened?

I happened to be looking inside a Windows VM package for a reason not having to do with the VM or Fusion, and noticed an anomaly. The package contained 3 files that I don't think should normally be there, and their Modified Dates were March 21, 2011 - more than a year ago.

I've been using the Windows VM without problems in recent memory, booting it up several times a week as needed, but never Suspending it - as far as I can remember.  But I guess I must have suspended it, on March 21, 2011.

The Windows VM and its virtual disk have no problems that I'm aware of, but the existence of the 3 files modified a year ago nags me, and, if somebody could say specifically "this is what happened", I'd feel a lot better.

The contents of the package were as follows, with Fusion Not running:

Applications/
appListCache/
quicklook-cache.png
vmware-0.log
vmware-1.log
vmware-2.log
vmware.log
<vmname>.nvram
<vmname>.vmdk  

<vmname>.vmem        <--- modified Mar 21, 2011

<vmname>.vmem.lck    <--- modified Mar 21, 2011
<vmname>.vmsd  

<vmname>.vmss        <--- modified Mar 21, 2011
<vmname>.vmx       
<vmname>.vmxf   

When I started up the VM today, files <some hex numbers>.vmem and <some hex numbers>.vmem.lck appeared.

Then, when I Suspended then Resumed the VM, the latter 2 files disappeared, and the modified dates of the 3 files that were modified back in Mar 2011 changed to Today!

When I shutdown the VM, the 3 files that initially had modified dates back in Mar 2011 disappeared.

So it seems that on March 21, 2011, I suspended the VM (because the files vmem and vmss existed), then resumed the VM (because the file vmem.lck existed), but never shutdown the VM (because all 3 files vmem, vmss, and vmem.lck existed.)

The nagging questions is: If the VM wasn't shutdown properly, how did I recover such that the 3 files related to VM suspension modified on March 21 2011 never disappeared?

Back in Mar 2011, I may have had episodes of the VM crashing, or Fusion crashing, or even OS X hanging.

Can someone tell me what specific event(s) would have left those 3 files? What event would have caused Fusion to ignore those files after they were created on Mar 21 2011?

Tags (3)
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

random.vmem appears when a VM is running.
If the VM is powered off random.vmem gets deleted.
If the VM is suspended random.vmem will be renamed to named.vmem

If you have named.vmem in the directory of the VM but the VM is not running or not suspended at the moment it is a leftover from a crash and can be deleted.

.lck files or directories are only used to prevent starting a second instance of a VM.
leftover files can always be deleted.

.vmss files are used for metadata of a suspend action.
They can be deleted if the VMs is powered off or is running at the moment.
keep vmss files if the VM is supended.

The tips above assume that your VM has NO snapshots

SoorajLohana
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks continuum, it saved 10GB of space on my hard drive.

0 Kudos