VMware Communities
cal82
Contributor
Contributor

Very Slow Disk R/W on New MBPr/10.9 w/ Win7 x64 VM (Fusion 6.02)

I recently migrated from a 2011 MBA running Fusion 5 to a new Haswell-based MBPr and Fusion 6. In both cases, I was using my Win7 VM primarily for Outlook 2010. On my older setup, attaching files to email, and downloading attachments from email was very speedy, and not much different than running Outlook/Windows on a standard Windows machine.

However, on my new setup, that process has become painful. It doesn't seem to make sense, since Apple was crowing about how fast the new SSDs w/PCIe were supposed to be.

Often, when I try to attach a file to an email, or download an attachment, the Windows VM just hangs for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

My MBPr has 8 GB of DRAM, and 2 GB are allotted to the VM (along with one of four cores). I have the 2.6 GHz i5 model of the 13" MBPr.

Running Fusion 6.02.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Do you have any shares with the host OS using the Fusion host-guest file sharing system?

If so, disable that and see if it helps to address the slowing down.

If that's the case then I suggest to completely uninstall VMware Tools, reboot the VM and install VMware tools again (of course followed up by another reboot of Windows 7).

A "repair install" of vmware tools will normally not fix any issues with vmware tools.

You can take a snapshot of your VM before the uninstall/reboot/install/reboot cycle if you are a bit uncomfortable about reinstalling vmware tools.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos