VMware Communities
x00
Contributor
Contributor

Version 11.5.3 - no options to create virtual network?

I am trying to create a virtual private network in Fusion 11 (on Mac 10.13.6) to do some security testing. My personal internal network range is a 10.x.x.x. I'm trying to create a virtual network to attach a machine to on the 192 range. I am trying to test some security setups. I know in VirtualBox this is very easy to do, and I would have assumed Fusion would have had this, but when I search help, it tells me to go to Fusion -> Preferences -> network. however in my preferences, I don't have network. I only have General, Keyboard & Mouse, Display, Default Applications, Feedback. 

Is there no way to set up a virtual private network for the virtual machines in Fusion 11? My laptop is too old to upgrade the VMware software any further and I'd rather not go back to virtualbox after paying for Fusion. 

thanks! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The "Network" tab you mention is only available in the professional version of VMware Fusion.

You can see what version of VMware Fusion you have in the about box (menu: "VMware Fusion" -> "About ..." )

Btw, a VPN is something else altogether.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using Fusion 11 or Fusion 11 Pro? Virtual network modification is a Fusion Pro feature, if I remember correctly.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
x00
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I didn't buy pro. I should have done the research up front, I need to be able to setup up dual home networks on a few machines to test some security settings. So yeah, I'll have to just use VirtualBox for what I need on this one. Also, yes, sorry on VPN, I was typing that from my phone in a hurry, understand a VPN in the traditional sense is not the same as virtual network creation/customization. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just one other note - big sur and fusion 12 have changed how network functions, so what you setup on 11/catalina may not work on 12/big sur.

0 Kudos