VMware Communities
ColinPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version 11.5.3 Metal support?

I try and run an application on macOS 10.14.4 and also on macOS 10.15.5.

I get an error from the app that my macOS needs to support Metal. My Mac does support Metal (outside of the machine) so something is wrong in the machine itself.

I'm not expert, so could use some help. Is there a way of enabling Metal? If it is supposed to be enabled by default, any ideas why this is happening?

THX

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If it requires 3d acceleration (which I suspect it does), then it won't work in an osx guest - not an available feature.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If it requires 3d acceleration (which I suspect it does), then it won't work in an osx guest - not an available feature.

0 Kudos
ColinPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

An app in question is Sketch. It specifically needs Metal to work. Attached is the dialog I am getting.

I'm stumped!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

AFAIK, Fusion doesn't provide metal-compatible virtual hardware.

0 Kudos
ColinPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe that's it, then.

The website refers to "Metal Host Graphics Rendering Engine", which I thought meant it runs apps that use the Metal API.

But if what you are saying is correct, them VM cannot run any app that depends on Metal.

Blimey.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It uses metal on the host to render graphics, which makes it faster in the guest, but I don't think it exposes the actual API's to the guests.  There's architectural limitations in MacOS that make it difficult to offer advanced graphics to MacOS guests.

ColinPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

That's exactly what I needed to know.

We can only hope that they find a way of doing this, as there is a growing list of apps that require Metal.

Cheers.

0 Kudos