VMware Communities
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Ventura 13.3 and VMware don't work anymore (Intel)

Running VMWare on intelMac after upgrade to 13.3 VM's don't work anymore more people seeing this problem?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What version of Fusion?  What guest OS's are the VMs?

0 Kudos
Peterqwerty
Contributor
Contributor

Latetest version v13.0.1

VM Big Sur

VM Monterey

VM Ventura

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Define 'don't work' - error message, application doesn't launch, etc?

0 Kudos
olad201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I updated Intel laptop from macOS 13.2.1 to 13.3 yesterday. VMWare Fusion (Player) version is 13.0.1, and ran Windows 11 until yesterday - before the update. I tried to start it this morning and got the error message is "Failed to start the virtual machine". No other error messages. I re-installed Fusion, but error persists. VM is on an external SSD via a USB port. Help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
olad201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the Vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What model Mac are you using?

The log indicates that you are running on a i7-4770HQ cpu, which according to everyMac.com was used in 2015 MacBook Pros. If that’s the case, you are running an unsupported configuration in both Apple’s and VMware’s eyes.  (using OCLP perhaps?). 
And you’re probably not going to find much help on that here or from VMware. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
olad201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, that's ok then. I am using OCLP, as you correctly guessed. But thank you all the same.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

OCLP itself may not be the problem, but it's conceivable that Apple has made changes in the underpinnings of macOS for the virtualization frameworks in 13.3 that depend on features present in CPUs of their supported hardware. No swap-out or hacking of hardware drivers that OCLP does can compensate for a missing CPU instruction or feature.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
HurcoMv
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded Ventura (Intel MacBook 2019) this morning and my Windows 10 VM is working fine on Fusion 13.0.1.

Another person here upgraded their M1 mac to Ventura 13.3 this morning and they're running their Windows 11 arm VM fine too.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yup, seems to work just fine as long as you're on a supported configuration.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

It’s really much simpler: in order to make some machines work with Ventura 13.3, AMFI (Apple Mobile File Integrity) was (temporarily) disabled in OCLP; and that’s the reason why Fusion, Parallels and also VirtualBox won’t start or resume VMs anymore. A future version of OCLP will hopefully re-enable AMFI, thus solving the problem. Of course, off-topic here…

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

From a security standpoint, having AMFI disabled is not a good place to be. It's an invitation for untrusted code to run.

Isn't it curious that one might want to run a newer macOS version so that it gets security updates, but that to get it to run one has to turn off one of the OS's security features?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, that’s right, of course: anyway, those who use OCLP root-patched Macs usually are power users, and the occasional “heavy” regression like this one is always to be expected. Personally, as I use OCLP on two of my Macs, I must say that I have learned quite a lot from using it. Still waiting for the 15.5” M2/M3 MacBook Air (prosumer version) before making the leap to Apple Silicon… (End of OT.)

0 Kudos