VMware Communities
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ventura 13.2.1 reports "Legacy System Extension"

The "Legacy System Extension" notice that appeared in earlier macOS releases just popped up on my iMac running Ventura 13.2.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is, IMO.

The process copies 4 files into /Library/LaunchDaemons on Fusion start up. It removes them on Fusion shutdown. Because of Ventura's new security posture (and the deprecation of putting background processes in the system's folders), the warning message comes from macOS every time the files are copied into the directory.

I've been reading up more on the Ventura changed behaviors. What you're seeing is not a bug, but is due to Fusion still using a now-deprecated method to configure background services. The messages from Ventura about background services will continue until VMware switches over to the new method of defining background services introduced in Ventura. (VMware might be able to reduce the number of times the message is repeated by copying the .plist files only once and leaving them there, but that doesn't fix the issue in its entirety).

The new method keeps the keeps the .plist files and background serices code within the applications bundle. That allows them to be vetted by macOS  by the application's signatures and more gracefully "introduced" to launchd without having to move files to LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemon directories. Allowing almost anyone to put a plist file in /Library/LaunchDaemons or /Library/LaunchAgents and started via launchd is an invitation to unwanted behavior. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what version of Fusion are you using? 

Versions of Fusion before Fusion 13 are not supported on Ventura. Fusion 13 does not use legacy kernel extensions on Ventura so this message should not appear.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should have mentioned I'm running VMware Fusion Player 13.0.1, which claims to be up-to-date.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd do a complete manual uninstall of Fusion per KB article How to Uninstall VMware Fusion Manually (1017838) making sure you get rid of all of the ancillary files. Then do a reinstall (have your license key handy because the removal process removes licensing).

Also, what model iMac is this running? Intel or Apple Silicon?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's really strange - you're right it must be cruft from an older install.  The kext's were depreciated long ago.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Agreed. The background services startup script currently part of the Fusion 13 app bundle explicitly checks for the Darwin kernel version - if it’s 20 or greater (corresponding to Big Sur or later) it does not load kexts.

Something is really wonky if Fusion 13 is trying to load kexts. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You know, I wonder if it's *exactly* that process that causes the background items warning on every launch....because that's a bit odd.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is, IMO.

The process copies 4 files into /Library/LaunchDaemons on Fusion start up. It removes them on Fusion shutdown. Because of Ventura's new security posture (and the deprecation of putting background processes in the system's folders), the warning message comes from macOS every time the files are copied into the directory.

I've been reading up more on the Ventura changed behaviors. What you're seeing is not a bug, but is due to Fusion still using a now-deprecated method to configure background services. The messages from Ventura about background services will continue until VMware switches over to the new method of defining background services introduced in Ventura. (VMware might be able to reduce the number of times the message is repeated by copying the .plist files only once and leaving them there, but that doesn't fix the issue in its entirety).

The new method keeps the keeps the .plist files and background serices code within the applications bundle. That allows them to be vetted by macOS  by the application's signatures and more gracefully "introduced" to launchd without having to move files to LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemon directories. Allowing almost anyone to put a plist file in /Library/LaunchDaemons or /Library/LaunchAgents and started via launchd is an invitation to unwanted behavior. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)