http://support.apple.com/kb/DL989?viewlocale=en_US

Does next Fusion support VMDirectPath ?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Does next Fusion support VMDirectPath ?

VMDirectPath is for ESX not Fusion and since you used the adjective "next" if you're referring to Fusion 4 then the typical VMware response is something to the effect that it's against policy to discuss blah, blah, blah, etc.

However I doubt we'll see it in VMware Fusion any time soon if at all since it's mainly a consumer oriented product.

0 Kudos
drakino
Contributor
Contributor

I hope they do add it soon. VT-d support in a Mac virtualization product will mean my employer will be open to buying a Mac Pro for myself and a few other developers. Parallels showed it working at WWDC 09, but their 5th version of their product also lacks support.

Something tells me it's coming soon from someone since Apple pushed out that update. Someone was likely encountering a bug and submitted to Apple to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can I ask what you will use the VMDirectPath for on your Mac? Is it performance you are after or something else?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
drakino
Contributor
Contributor

3D graphics performance is the main reason, for cross platform game development. With VMDirectPath I could get rid of the second machine at my desk and just have a single Mac Pro tower that allows development in OS X or Windows without rebooting, and without the performance hit that comes from the emulated 3D environment inside Fusion.

Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
padrino121
Contributor
Contributor

I want to jump on this as well.. I have a Mac Pro with VT-d support however at the moment I only have the possibility of using Parallels Workstation Extreme with a Windows/Linux host OS on the Mac Pro... If Fusion added VT-d support I could finally combine my GPU programming onto my OSX host and drop my extra box with Parallels.

0 Kudos