VMware Communities
Keltia
Contributor
Contributor

VPN support in Fusion as in Workstation?

Hello everyone, while discussing recently with a friend of mine that does networking courses as a teacher, he mentioned to me that he could not use Fusion as it does not seem to support the VPN networking option as Workstation on Windows/Linux does. Indeed, the only options I have are host-only/bridge & NAT.

Is there any plan to support this on Fusion please? I understand it is implemented through net devices like vmnet2..7 and I see only vmnet1 & vmnet8...

Thanks for a great product BTW, it has helped quite a lot for my FreeBSD development.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure what you mean by "does not seem to support the VPN networking option as Workstation on Windows/Linux does"? I am running 2 separate VPNs, both in bridged network mode, and each connects to a different VPN, one a Cisco VPN, the other is a variant of Nortel's VPN. I've been using this setup for months.

I also understand that if the Mac host is connected via VPN then the virtual machine would have access (believe you would need to use NAT network mode in that case).

Hopefully this is helpful, not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hello everyone, while discussing recently with a friend of mine that does networking courses as a teacher, he mentioned to me that he could not use Fusion as it does not seem to support the VPN networking option as Workstation on Windows/Linux does. Indeed, the only options I have are host-only/bridge & NAT.

Is there any plan to support this on Fusion please? I understand it is implemented through net devices like vmnet2..7 and I see only vmnet1 & vmnet8...

I think your confused and VPN is not what your really talking about if you're referring to "vmnet2..7" and while there is not a GUI like in Windows to manage the Virtual Networks, VMnet's it still can be done in Fusion however it is for the Advanced User.

Have a look at , as well as scripts to manage custom settings although the latter may not work with Fusion 2.0 yet.

0 Kudos