VMware Communities
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware vs. Monterey

Latest macOS Monterey, Fusion Player 12.2, Windows 7, hardware version 19.

Everything worked fine under Big Sur. After doing a clean install of Monterey in another volume, I migrated from Big Sur.

Being blind, I use a screen rader. After booting the Windows VM, within a couple minutes, something happens in the background, no sound, and it all goes to pot, Internet access goes away.

Methinks VMware simply does not like Monterey. I've seen many similar complaints here but may have missed the solution, or word thatits a bug. Its too overwhelming to keepbrowsing the forum. Am hoping there is a fix.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mappoint
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if VMware already recognized that there is a problem with 12.2 and 12.2.1.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There was an issue with networking under Big Sur with VMware Fusion 12.0 and 12.1 because of the change to not using kernel modules and switch over to apple's hypervisor framework.
As such VMware has fixed that issue in Fusion 12.2.

Sadly as it goes with fixes in software, sometimes they create new issues for another group of users.
From what I understand the issue might be in VM's using NAT, so you might try changing the network connection of your VM between Bridged and NAT, reboot the VM and see if that helps.

If none of that works I would suggest to go back to the latest 12.1 version. Of course that isn't ideal, but hopefully, you'll be able to use internet in your VM again.
A direct download to the latest 12.1 version is here: Download VMware Fusion 12.1.2

PS: I'm amazed you can use a screen reader in a VM. It was one of the things I wondered about, having been blind myself when I was child.

edit: Forgot to say that the "direct download" process tends to be confusing. It will ask to login, then probably not redirect properly. So you have to open again, it shows a license you have to agree to, but the license part doesn't display (error loading). There Is a checkbox however that you can check "agree" and after that the download finally starts.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for this. NAT resolved the issue nicely. As for screen readers, I only use NVDA but am working to use the Mac much more, Cheers.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks for that tip about NVDA.
I didn't know that there was a free version, always was under the impression it was very expensive.

I will put it on my list to play with. As a software developer myself it is good to check how that works. I'm sure that my software can be improved in that area.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos