VMware Communities
BigDon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Converter problem

I've got a VMware vCenter Converter problem! I downloaded it and it now resides in "Finder" as an .exe file but it's all text!! When I open it, the caption at the top says it can't be run in DOS mode. All 30.1 megs are there so now what do I do? I am sure I jumped through the necessary VM hoops to access the program for downloading to my Mac.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW VMware Converter has its own Forum.

I'd start by reading the documentation for the product you're trying to use.

VMware Converter 3.0.3 User's Manual (PDF)

Hint: You need to install in Windows not OS X.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW VMware Converter has its own Forum.

I'd start by reading the documentation for the product you're trying to use.

VMware Converter 3.0.3 User's Manual (PDF)

Hint: You need to install in Windows not OS X.

0 Kudos
BigDon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, that would explain part of it. I read the recommendation re: downloading the program and didn't see a specific requirement to download it to Windows, which is problematical since I'm trying to get the virtual Windows set up on my Mac and the Converter (as I am expecting) is supposed to make the process easier. Chicken or egg thing. Thank you again! And I'll check out the other forum too.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well, that would explain part of it. I read the recommendation re: downloading the program and didn't see a specific requirement to download it to Windows, which is problematical since I'm trying to get the virtual Windows set up on my Mac and the Converter (as I am expecting) is supposed to make the process easier. Chicken or egg thing. Thank you again! And I'll check out the other forum too.

Files ending in .exe are typically, though not exclusively, Windows Executables and you need to download it to the Physical Windows Machine and execute it to install it and set the destination for the Virtual Machine to a USB or FireWire external drive and then once converted you can copy the Virtual Machine over to the Mac and use it. Note: There are other ways to do it however what I suggested is probably the easiest and fastest way.