VMware Communities
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware tools fail to install on Windows 7 Guest

Free License of VMware Fusion 12.2.0 running on a Monterey 12.0.1 Host.

I tried creating a fresh VM using Windows 7 Pro x64, and also tried Windows 7 Home x86, both attempts with same results. Installation of VMware Tools fails in either case with a series of messages about several drivers being unable to be installed, and the installation rolling back all changes at the end. The result is a VM with nothing but basic graphics and very limited access to the internet.

Was able to successfully install a fresh VM using Windows 10 Pro x64, and VMware tools installed completely without incident, and the VM is performing as expected.

So, I suspect that something has gone wrong with VMware tools installation at least in respect to Windows 7, unless there is some workaround I am not aware of. Yes, I made sure that the platform in the Fusion settings matched the installed version of the OS. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware Tools 11.1.x and newer requires the Windows 7 guest to support SHA-2. Updates to Windows 7 is required to support SHA-2.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78708

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you using the easy install function?  Just drag/drop the iso into the new VM wizard, and all that should happen behind the scenes automatically.

Assuming you're on an intel machine of course 🙂

0 Kudos
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. I used the Easy Install option. Both times it failed to unmount the Windows 7 install ISO requiring me to manually eject it and reboot the VM before the Install VMware Tools menu item would even show up without being greyed out.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware Tools 11.1.x and newer requires the Windows 7 guest to support SHA-2. Updates to Windows 7 is required to support SHA-2.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78708

0 Kudos
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That 100% sounds like the source of this issue! Thank you, going to try this ASAP.

0 Kudos
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

More than a little gnarly but this worked:

Installed fresh Windows 7 VM, and cancelled the automated VMware Tools installation before it could begin
In the Host, located, and downloaded the ISO for VMware Tools 11.0.6, mounted that in the VM and installed that version of VMWare tools. 
Success - now have internet access.Windows Update appeared to be non-functional at this point so I went to the alternative steps:
Using the default Explorer browser in the guest OS, downloaded and installed Google Chrome and used that to access the articled you posted. (Explorer wasn't able to do it for various reasons.) From there was able to access, download, and install the two Windows Standalone updates mentioned in the article.
Reboot the VM, and was then able to mount the "windows.iso" which contains the current VMware Tools installer (found in /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages ) and was able to successfully update to the current VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't know if Windows Update still works or not for Windows 7 considering that it is officially out of support.
I do recall that Windows 7 update are blocked for Intel CPUs that are 7th gen and newer. So if your Mac hardware is 2017 or newer, it might be blocking Windows Update (assuming that Windows 7 update online is still available). Probably can mask the CPU as a 6th gen in the vmx.

0 Kudos
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel Core i5-5575R

0 Kudos
jps81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No idea if anyone will find the following relevant, but I've just run into a similar issue and at no point have I been able to get the .iso that VMware Workstation Pro 17.0.2 typically presents to the guest to reveal itself in the guest's (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) Windows Explorer, in order to install the VMware Tools.  The Install VMware Tools... option is consistently greyed out of all menus.

Without VMWare tools, I could not copy/paste between host and guest, and the internet connection through the NAT was barely functional.

On my host, I downloaded the Windows 7 64bit updaters: windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x64 and windows6.1-kb4490628-x64 from the catalog here:

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419

and here

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4490628

Additionally, I downloaded the "VMware Tools for Windows, 64-bit in-guest installer.zip" (I went with 12.1.5) here:

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1220&productId=974#product...

To get these files onto the guest, I first copied them on to a thumb drive (attached to the host, obviously) then connected that thumb drive to the guest through removable devices menu.  From there, I copied the files onto the guest, ran the Windows updaters, and then ran the in-guest Tools installer.  After a couple restarts, its seems to be functioning properly.  I can copy and paste back and forth, the desktop sizing adapts to my window size, and the internet connection seems much improved.

I note that the ReInstall VMware Tools... options are still greyed out though...

Maybe this will be helpful to others.

0 Kudos
JamesHT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for posting this follow up.

0 Kudos
SpeshalK87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 SP1 x86 guest. My "Install VMWare Tools" option was greyed out. I had to install the 2 KBs mentioned it the Solved Response. Also, need to have BOTH the floppy drive & the CD ROM to Auto Detect in the VM Settings per the Manually Install VMWare Tools KB article.

0 Kudos