VMware Communities
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware tools (10.2.0) in Fusion (10.0.1), printer is not working

After I installed the latest VMware tools (10.2.0) in the latest Fusion (10.0.1),

printers are not working in Windows 10 (1709) as well as Linux (Mint XFCE 18.3) VMs even the printer sharing is anabled.

There is no way knowing what is going on in Wndows, but I got the follwoing error message in Linux printer setting.

"/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/sRGB Profile.icc" is not available : No such file or directory

Yet, this file does exist in the right folder.

In my setup, VMware virtual machines are on a data SSD while Fusion app is on a separate system SSD.

But this set up always worked till this VMware tools update.

I cannot revert to the previoud VMware tools (10.1.0) since it has a critical bug not be able to save documents in MS Office.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally I managed to use both LAN and WiFi printers from Windows 10 VM, using NAT connection Smiley Happy.

The page which gave me a hint was this:

CUPS Printing with Windows 10 - Spiceworks

HTH

Happy to add another sucess story.

I also managed to setup network printers in Linux VM, using NAT connection.

The trick is to "disable" printer sharing.

It goes a bit against my intuition, but now everything is working as before.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sshetty
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you! for starting the new thread. Surely will help.

I checked the old thread too and see some of users are unable to use the Printer.

For now  let me stick to your case, it would be surprising that the printer stopped for both Windows 10 and Linux as the tools update only changed behavior for Windows 10 1709.

Linux would use open vmtools by default and is recommended as well.

Can we try to re-add the Virtual Printer and check how this works?

Tracking a reply form any of the users who reported the original permissions issue with shared folders for the printer side-effect, based on inputs will surely post more.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sfjogger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMWare Tools 10.2.0 update helped with the problem of saving MSOffice files to the VM share, but MSWord is still hanging. I'm often getting the Word (not responding) message with a white page that usually goes away after 30-60 seconds, but is annoying and occasionally causes lost work.

In addition, I can't see the Mac printers anymore - it won't let me add printers to the list either. Any workarounds?

HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I spent some more time for testing VMware Tools (10.2.0).

I ran the same virtual machines on macos (Fusion10.0.1) and Linux (Workstation Player 14.0).

If you care to know, I am using Sierra (10.12.6) and Ubuntu Mate 17.10 (on a physically separate Linux box).

The same printer problem was observed in both Fusion and VMware Workstation Player.

Clearly, the problem resides in VMware Tools, not in Fusion.

This is what I observed:

With printer sharing enabled,

Linux (Mint XFCE 18.3) VM lists printers but they are not accessible. Manual addition of printer fails.

Windows 10 (ver 1709) VM cannot see the printer in the control panel. Manual addition of printer fails.

The network connection for both VMs are set to NAT (as I do not wish to expose my VMs to the internet via Bridge mode).

When I changed the connection to Bridge mode,

Linux VM can see both LAN and WiFi printers.

Windows VM can only see WiFi printer.

Since I cannot afford any more time to solve this issue,

I have resigned myself to switch temporary to Bridge mode to use printers.

Hope this work-around might help other Fusion (and Workstation Player) users.

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally I managed to use both LAN and WiFi printers from Windows 10 VM, using NAT connection Smiley Happy.

The page which gave me a hint was this:

CUPS Printing with Windows 10 - Spiceworks

HTH

Happy to add another sucess story.

I also managed to setup network printers in Linux VM, using NAT connection.

The trick is to "disable" printer sharing.

It goes a bit against my intuition, but now everything is working as before.

0 Kudos
sfjogger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HackerKitty -

Setting up Rasberry Pi and CUPS printing looks like it's beyond my IT capabilities. Besides that, I'm still having MSWord problems as noted above. Is VM working on a fix for the tools?

0 Kudos
HackerKitty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have two network printers.

One of them (old HP laserjet) is indeed connected to Raspberry Pi print server, but the other one (newer Brother inkjet) has a built in LAN/WiFi connection.

If anyone is interested I can give a step-by-step instruction for how to set up this kind of network printer in Fusion or Workstation.

I am surprised to read that you still have a MS Word problem after the VMware tools update.

Just to confirm.

Did you  install the new tool manually using the file downloaded from VMware site?

If you install the tools in a usual way, i.e., click on the toolbar for "reinstall vmware tools", you would get an older version, not a new one.

0 Kudos
sshetty
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's great to see it works for you and there are more solutions that way.

However, I'm still in seeing one live to get to the source of it, as the idea is to get the thin print/virtual printer to work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sshetty
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please update VMware Fusion to 10.1.0 or if it's VMware Workstation to 14.1.0, this has VMware Tools 10.2 bundled with it and some other issues taken care too.

VMware Workstation 14.1 Pro Release Notes

VMware Fusion 10.1.0 Release Notes

Thanks!

0 Kudos