VMware Communities
rmcaldeira
Contributor
Contributor

VMware performance in MacBook Pro i9 (Big Sur) with windows 10

Hello everyone,
I have installed the latest version of VMware (12) on a mackbook pro i9 with 32gb memory and a SSD of 512gb (osx big sur) and I don't understand why I notice so much slow running the office (or other programs) on windows 10. The question I ask here is in order to seek help is to understand what settings I can make to solve the problem: No. of Cors? Memory? Other settings to enable or disable? I appreciate your help
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's the guest configuration - cores and ram?  do you have any antivirus installed in the guest?  running in single user or unity mode?

0 Kudos
davy_br
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing, ever since I had my new macbook pro with i9 8 cores.

Windows 10 vm terribly slow.

I now set the number of cpu's to 2 and the memory to 8gb, disabled hypervisor (intelvt-x/ept) on the vm advanced cpu settings.

also disabled the acceleration of 3d graphics. I have the vm in full screen (full resolution for retina)

also inside the vm, I went to advanced system settings --> performance --> check best perfomance (disables all the fancy animations inside windows)

for now, i've seen an improvement, but i'll test it for the remainder of the day.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's the hypervisor setting that's likely the culprit.  Known issue (see other threads in the forum).

0 Kudos
davy_br
Contributor
Contributor

You mean the part about "disabled hypervisor (intelvt-x/ept) on the vm advanced cpu settings." ?

0 Kudos