VMware Communities
kemosabe4
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools won't stay installed...Fusion V3 Vista Ultimate 19Nov09

So far, I have not much within Fusion V3 to complain about...thank God. But one minor annoyance is that when I reboot the VISTA client after having installed VMware Tools, I'm back to "Install VMware Tools" again. So, I install it again, and while that particular session is still up and operating, it says "Update VMware Tools". ONCE I "shut down" that session though and reboot the next day (or whenever), the system reverts to the former state of "Install VMware Tools".

What am I doing wrong - or why won't it stayed installed? My xP client works fine and VMware Tools STAYS installed on that client. The same seems to be the case for my UBUNTU Linux client as well. Only in Vista am I experiencing this problem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

maybe your Vista VM has nonpersistent disks ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
kemosabe4
Contributor
Contributor

> nonpersistent disks

Well, quite some time has past since I first posted this - and there have been version changes and what not- but I still have this problem  Just now I've tried to do some reading on what a "nonpersistent disk" is.  I'm not understanding how I can tell if that's what I have, if that's my problem, and what to do if it IS my problem and I have to change something.  Funny though that I never had to do anything with my other two virtual setups (xP and Linux)  and the VMWare tools stayed installed permanently on those platforms.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

THe menu item will never stay as "Update VMware Tools". As long as you can see the VM logo in the notification area (the right-side of the Windows Taskbar), VMware Tools are installed.

0 Kudos