VMware Communities
GLettina
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools don't work on Ubuntu 8.10

Today I've updated Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.10 in a virtual machine. In the new Ubuntu 8.10 VMware Tools don't work!! No screen resolution, no Unity, nothing... and the mouse doesn't work fine!! If I click in the right side of the screen, it clicks in the left!! I've tried to do something with terminal, but I think the new Ubuntu is unsupported... when an update of VMware Tools for Ubuntu 8.10? Thanks Smiley Happy

I'm using VMware Fusion on my iMac. It's fantastic, thanks VMware!! Smiley Happy

I'm using VMware Fusion on my iMac. It's fantastic, thanks VMware!! 🙂
0 Kudos
59 Replies
neiltwist
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed build-essentials from my experience of installing the parallels tools...

0 Kudos
VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

So with VMware Fusion 2.0.1 now available, do all the tools work in (a) Ubuntu 8.10; (b) Mandriva 2009? I have working VMs of these on VirtualBox, but the one feature VB doesn't have is drag and drop of files between Mac host and Linux guest. I don't want to switch these to Fusion unless this would add the drag and drop function.

Mac user with Linux tendencies
0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Personally, I have no problems (see also the other thread on Mandriva 2009), after having added vmware-user to the login items.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Xorg will now no longer start, even if vmware-user is restarted or vmware-config is rerun.

I don't see this - X works fine.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

So with VMware Fusion 2.0.1 now available, do all the tools work in (a) Ubuntu 8.10; (b) Mandriva 2009?

As implied in the 2.0.1 release notes, the update does not address the vmware-tools issue in 8.10. Trying to install vmware-tools in an update 8.10 will still result in several modules not working. I haven't checked them all, but the functions that seem to be affected are as follows:

1. Xorg (there is currently no compatible module with xorg 7.4.2)

2. Drag and drop Seems to compile alright, but does not function

3. Unity Again, compiles but does not function

I haven't checked the other modules, but I don't think memory and processor management are functioning either. I haven't checked Mandriva 2009.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With 2.0.1 (128865), I just tried a fresh install of 8.10 (desktop, 32-bit), applied all updates, rebooted, installed Tools, rebooted. Everything seems fine (I do still see the previously mentioned vsock error, but chances are you don't need it). I checked that I can DnD from the host to the guest desktop, and from the guest desktop to the host. Live resize works, Unity works, fullscreen multimon works.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

Xorg will now no longer start, even if vmware-user is restarted or vmware-config is rerun.

I don't see this - X works fine.

When I install vmware-tools I get the following error (paraphrase):

xorg 7.4.2

There is no compatible module for the current xorg version.

X stopping. Signal 11 caught.

Restart causes X to drop to the troubleshoot screen.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

With 2.0.1 (128865), I just tried a fresh install of 8.10 (desktop, 32-bit), applied all updates, rebooted, installed Tools, rebooted. Everything seems fine (I do still see the previously mentioned vsock error, but chances are you don't need it). I checked that I can DnD from the host to the guest desktop, and from the guest desktop to the host. Live resize works, Unity works, fullscreen multimon works.

This doesn't seem likely, but since some people are getting errors and others aren't, could this be a 64bit issue?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This doesn't seem likely, but since some people are getting errors and others aren't, could this be a 64bit issue?

I think that's actually a likely explanation, especially if the people with the errors are using 64-bit and the ones who it works for are 32-bit. This wouldn't be the first time there's been 64-bit specific problems, and is why specifically asks for 32-bit vs 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

So if I may sum up:

32-bit works

64-bit doesn't work

correct?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

32-bit works for me. I haven't gotten a chance to try 64-bit yet; since you're one of the people running into problems, it would be nice to confirm whether you're using 64-bit or not.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using 64-bit.

I can give you additional information if you require it.

0 Kudos
neiltwist
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just downloading 64-bit ubuntu and will test now.

I can also confirm that on my 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 Drag and Drop works.

0 Kudos
neiltwist
Contributor
Contributor

What do you get from "Xorg -version"?

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

What do you get from "Xorg -version"?

If you mean X -version I get

Which means the running version of xorg is 7.4.2

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just done a fresh install of 64-bit Ubuntu with Fusion 2.01 and everything seems to work okay. Window resize works in windowed mode. Mouse ungrab works (needed to install new Ubuntu updates to get it to work). Unity works. I haven't tried sharing, as I don't use it in Ubuntu.

I did note that I had problems with my previous Ubuntu install which was an upgrade to 8.10 from 8.04 and which was 32-bit rather then 64-bit.

I'd be interested to know if Zerocool3001's installation is an old install that's been upgraded a few times (as was my previous one) or a fresh one (which my current 64-bit one is)?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think it's something about your install. Like Pbryanw, I just finished a 64-bit Ubuntu 8.10 install, and it all seems to work - live resize, Unity, multimon fullscreen, HGFS, DnD in both directions.

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

I just finished flushing and installing vmware-tools. No such luck. Any clues I where I might look for what could be causing the issue? Also, is no one else having this issue?

0 Kudos
Zerocool3001
Contributor
Contributor

Full output from vmware-tools-install.pl

0 Kudos
VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

I also did a fresh install on 2.0.1 with 64-bit Ubuntu. I got the vsock error, but other than that and one little oddity, the tools work fine, including drag and drop. The oddity is that if I restart within the VM, it shuts down but won't restart. If I then restart the VM from the Fusion menu, everything is fine. Anyone else run into this?

Mac user with Linux tendencies
0 Kudos