VMware Communities
exiledpoacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Tools Compile Problem

I am running Ubuntu 13.10 (beta) with Linux Kernel 3.11.0-7 as a Guest OS under VMware Fusion 6.0.0 (1296151) on my Macbook (Mac OS X 10.8.4).

I attempted to install VMware Tools 9.6.0 Build-1294478 and got the following errors during the shared folder configuration compile.

CC [M]  /tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only/inode.o

/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only/inode.c: In function ‘HgfsPermission’:

/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only/inode.c:1893:29: error: ‘struct dentry’ has no member named ‘d_count’

int dcount = dentry->d_count;

^

make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only/inode.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.11.0-5-generic'

make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only'

I realise that Ubuntu and the Kernel are not finalised but didn't see this problem until Ubuntu Update-Manager installed the 3.11 Kernel series. Any ideas how to overcome this issue appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rasa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The following patch will fix the

/tmp/modconfig-j0IFhU/vmhgfs-only/inode.c:1893:29: error: ‘struct dentry’ has no member named ‘d_count’

error:

https://raw.github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches/master/patches/vmhgfs/vmhgfs-d_count-kernel-3.11-to...

View solution in original post

25 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The latest version of Ubuntu officially supported currently in VMware Fusion 6.0.0 is Ubuntu 13.04 with the stock default kernel.

Anything later then that will probably require a 3rd party patch and I've not looked of or seen one beyond the 3.10 kernel so you'll need to do some goggling! Smiley Wink

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am the developer for the file sharing feature and I will look into the latest kernel builds.

We keep on retesting as kernels change and will get a fix and a tools update out which will include a fix soon.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
exiledpoacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's great, Steve,much appreciated 🙂 In the meantime I'm getting on reasonably well with SSH and SFTP. I will try drag 'n' drop as well.

UPDATE - Drag and Drop doesn't seem to work but maybe it's all part of the same scenario?

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You are welcome and thanks for posting all the useful details.

I would expect that drag and drop to work still. That is less likely to run into this type of issue. But if it does not please let us know.

Also I have trying out the sshfs fuse file system which work as another alternative option for you too until the tools release is out.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
exiledpoacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that drag and drop are not working on my systemSmiley Sad  However I have installed sshfs and it works very well indeed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fenris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi exiledpoacher,

thanks for raising this issues , i've facing the issues since vmware fusion 6 lunched ... i'm hoping that the team will fix it a.s.a.p so we can have better sharing with our osx. Btw, how about the sound ? do u managed to get it work ? mine, the guest sound not working ... if yours is working fine maybe you can help me configure mine .. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
exiledpoacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to say this, fenris,  but sound has never been an issue, it just worked after creating both Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 beta guests in VMware Fusion 6!I'm sure you've already checked this, but do you have the sound device switched on in the VM settings file? The Ubuntu guest claims to have a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPC164V, AudioPCI128 card installed if I look in System Settings -> Sound.  This site may be helpful:

http://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

0 Kudos
fenris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

exiledpoacher,

yes it works on 13.04 previously .... btw .. thanks a lot ... now the sound back again \0/ !!! can't wait for the vmhgfs fixes ...

once again thanks !

rasa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The following patch will fix the

error:

https://raw.github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches/master/patches/vmhgfs/vmhgfs-d_count-kernel-3.11-to...

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes it is a simple fix to change the line of code to count = d_count(dentry) in HgfsPermission function in the inode.c file.

You can modify the vmhgfs.tar and then run the vmware tools install script which will rebuild the vmhgfs kernel driver and with that fix will get you going.

The fix is in the next point release now and should be available in the not too distant future. Note, I am not allowed to say when that is exactly even if I knew.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As for drag and drop:

Did you enable the vmblock component when installing the tools? Is the vmblock process running if you list the processes?

(It is a FUSE component.)

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
exiledpoacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Steve. First of all the patch works fine for Shared Folder access- thank you once again Smiley Happy

However, Drag and Drop still does not work with the Ubuntu 13.10 build (but is OK in my 13.04).  I would say the process is running since "ps -ef |grep vmblock" yields:

root      1623     1  0 10:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/vmware-vmblock-fuse -o subtype=vmware-vmblock,default_permissions,allow_other /var/run/vmblock-fuse

0 Kudos
fenris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the patch ... its work for the Shared Folder access - TQ  Smiley Happy

For me, Drag and Drop works well. "Host Drag to Guest" and "Guest Drag to Host"

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 4.39.29 PM.png

0 Kudos
nacholito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works!

0 Kudos
qo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

steve said: Yes it is a simple fix to change the line of code to count = d_count(dentry) in HgfsPermission function in the inode.c file.

Maybe a difference between 32 bit (count) and 64 bit (dcount)? but, in my case (64 bit) the modification was:

dcount = d_count(dentry)

And, yes, this worked a treat, so many thanks Steve!

Allen

0 Kudos
ujay68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@steve goddard: Thanks. It's important to have this in an upcoming update to Fusion 6.0.x, because Ubuntu 13.04 support will end as early as January 2014. Jay

0 Kudos
toter_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could somebody explain where to put this patch file and run it? I'm a beginner.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nacholito
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was somewhere else, but I lost the link... anyway, try this:

• uncompress the tools file
  • untar lib/modules/source/vmhgfs.tar
  • from the lib/modules/source directory, and with the patch file saved in that directory, run the command "patch -p0 < vmhgfs-d_count-kernel-3.11-tools-9.6.0.patch"
  • tar up the vmhgfs-only folder as vmhgfs.tar

that should do it!

0 Kudos
rasa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The instructions to apply the patch are at

https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches/blob/master/README.md

Also, upgrading to Workstation 10.0.1 (VMwareTools-9.6.1-1378637.tar.gz), alleviates the need for this patch.

0 Kudos