VMware Communities
glenfrancis
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion

I am trying to open my VMware Fusion but I not able to I receive the following notice:

"A virtual machine is attempting to monitor all network traffic which requires administrator access."

I have been using this program for more than 8 years and have never had this problem before. It is asking for a password and I don't know how to set up a password that will allow me to open the program. 

Can you assist me?

my email address: glen.francis43@gmail.com

my license number <removed>

Thank you

Glen

Moderator edit by wila: Removed the license details, please do not share your license code on a public forum.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@glenfrancis 

You should NOT be posting your license key. I have reported your thread to alert moderators, but you should edit your post to remove it ASAP if you read this before a moderator has taken action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Scott, I already removed the license key.

Glen, the password it is asking for is the password of your user under macOS.

However...

As the warning says, it only does this because suddenly your virtual machine wants to sniff everything on the network. If you didn't change anything, no new VM's, no new network sniffing software etc... then this is highly suspicious and your virtual machine might be infected with some malware.

So unless it is expected that your virtual machine sniffs your network, you should NOT enter that password.

Instead you should probably contact a more technical person and/or go back to a known good backup of your VM.

hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

One question - did you recently update MacOS?  Apple has greatly increased the security warnings and alerts in recent versions.  

Note that doesn't change Wila's comments - if you don't expect it to, you shouldn't allow it.  It would just mean that it *has* been doing it for a long time, just without warning.  Make sense?

0 Kudos