VMware Communities
Rob76
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion w/ VMware Workstation for Windows

I have been a user of VMware Server and Workstation for several years now. I just purchase VMware Fusion and have it installed on my Apple running Mac OS X 10.5.1. My plan was to install all of my VMware sessions on an external drive (500gb - firewire) that have been created using VMware Workstation for Windows version 6.0.2. I was hoping to have dual access to these sessions using either Workstation or Fusion. Of course I was planning on accessing them one at a time with one or the other product.

When I attempt to access the image created through the VMware Workstation through Fusion I receive an error message: "No permission to access this virtual machine." The external hard drive hosting the VMware images is formatted as Windows NTFS. I am able to read from that external drive through my MacBook Pro.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish what I am trying to set up? I want to be able to take my external drive between the office and home and utilize the VMware Workstation at the Office and VMware Fusion while working at home all on the same Virtual Machines. I have Windows-XP installed on the Office machine.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my questions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

OS X can't natively write to NTFS, so if your VMs are on an NTFS drive, this isn't going to work so well. FAT might be an option.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Conceivably you could also add the NTFS3G driver (google is your friend) to your Mac and it may work - not sure if the performance is up to par for the writes VMware will need or not...

0 Kudos