VMware Communities
falcon1231
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion (version 8.5.10 - 7527438) is showing  status "Powered off"

Hi,

I have updated  OS to MacOS Monterey on MacBook Air by mistake, now VMware Fusion (version 8.5.10 - 7527438) is
showing  status "Powered off" after this update.
I was running VM fusion on windows 7.

Windows 7x64bit data is still in the director/documents  (101 GB) 

Please advise if I can still recover my data 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You’ll need Fusion 12.2.x, as per: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

With v12, there is a Player version which is free for personal use: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal

You can compare the Player and Pro versions here: https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

If you need Pro, that will be a new license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
falcon1231
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thanks you so much for your reply, greatly appreciated!

Should I simply download Fusion 12 or I need make any changes before downloading or  back up windows7 folder ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
falcon1231
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

I have downloaded Fusion 12, its now showing all the files but unfortunately still showing the status of windows 7  64 as "Powered Off" and Power On  tab doesn't work. I have come this far with your help, I need further guidance to get it working. Please reply asap.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Could you post the contents of the Windows 7 virtual machine's "bundle" folder.

In the Virtual Machine Library, right click on the VM and select "Show in Finder".

In the Finder view, right click on the virtual machine, and select "Show Package Contents" That'll open another Finder window and show all the components of the virtual machine. Post the contents here so we can review them. We're looking to see if there are any lock files that can be deleted that might keep your VM from powering on.

If we don't find anything in that listing, you might want to try completely uninstall VMware Fusion and any auxiliary files (make sure you have your license key handy as this procedure delete the licensing files on the hard drive).. Drag the Fusion application to the trash, and then look for additional directories per the advice given in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838. Empty the trash and reboot the machine. Re-install Fusion 12 Player.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
falcon1231
Contributor
Contributor

Vm - Package Content 1.jpgVm - Package Content 2.jpgVm - Package Content 3.jpg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Those photos are tiny and no text can be seen when zoomed in, proper screenshots taken by your Mac (rather than photos of your screen) will be needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
falcon1231
Contributor
Contributor

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.29.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.30.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.30.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.31.15 AM.png

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Some thoughts:

• Before doing anything further, make a copy of that VM to an external drive (after shutting down VMware Fusion).
  • What how much memory and disk are in that that MacBook Air, and what model of MacBook Air is this? (e.g. from About this Mac).
  • How much disk space is currently used on the MacBook Air (from Get Info of the boot disk)? 
  • Did you try opening up the VM from the Fusion GUI instead of the menubar add-on?
  • Can you upload a copy (as an attachment) of the vmware.log file contained in the virtual machine's directory?
  • Can you also post the .vmx file as an attachment.

I still think you should go through a full uninstall and reinstall of Fusion given you had Fusion 8.5 installed before upgrading to Monterey, but before we do that I'd like to see a few more things first. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos