VMware Communities
sequoiaaa
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion on MacOS Bug Sur with M1 Chip Question

Hello, I am trying to rub Ubuntu 20.04 on VMware Fusion. I am able to get through the initial setup of the VM, however when I attempt to start the VM I get this error and cannot find a workaround:

Failed to power on '/Users/m/Downloads/Ubuntu 64-bit 20.04.1.vmwarevm/Ubuntu 64-bit 20.04.1.vmx'

Hypervisor is also disabled, does anyone know a solution to this? Is VMWare compatible with the new M1 chip? I know it can work with the Big Sur OS but I am unsure about the ARM based chips.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@sequoiaaa 

Fusion does not currently work on the M1 chip, there are numerous threads about that here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There has been some mention that M1 support will not be available this year, it will be somewhere next year (2021).

Also note that while you then will be able to run virtual machines on your M1 mac, it will still not run virtual machines that require an intel or amd processor. There has been some talk that intel processor emulation is being investigated by VMware, but if and when that happens is unsure.

Here is another thread on the subject with some more details and discussion:

VMware Fusion 12 running on Apple Silicon

hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks for the information. Hopefully, all that is possible, even if it takes some time.

0 Kudos
Nextissimo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I found this HW requirements page : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005196?lang=en_US

It seems to be the official statement : Mac running on non-x86 processors are not supported ( Example : Apple Macs with M1 ).

0 Kudos
leronjordan87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Do you have any idea when VMware Fusion can support M1 chip? Is there any update regarding this? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos