VMware Communities
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion on Mac errors: Exception 0xc0000005 - pcre.dll was not found - VMware Tools are not running - Copy-paste text between Fusion and Mac does not work

When opening Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 Build 18363, on VMware Fusion Professional Version 11.5.3 (15870345), on macOS 10.12.6 (16G2136) Sierra, it showed the error:

----------------------------------------------

VMware Tools Error

VMware Tools unrecoverable error: (host-6436)

Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred

Note that the (host-6436) changes after rebooting to a different number. I could fix it uninstalling the installed VMware Tools and installing an older VMware Tools version 12.5.2, as explained here:

Solved: vmtools cannot run correctly

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2666356

That fixed such error, but now new errors show after rebooting:

vmtoolsd.exe - System Error

The code execution cannot proceed because pcre.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem

and later on it shows:

Unable to update run-time folder sharing status: VMware Tools are not running in the guest

And VMware Fusion - Virtual Machine - Sharing - Sharing Settings

shows the error:

Shared folders will not be available in the virtual machine until VMware Tools is installed and running

But, as said, VMware Tools version 12.5.2 are installed. Reinstalling it or repairing or uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix it.

And last but not last, copy-paste text between Fusion and Mac does not work. Nothing is copied or pasted between them.

How to fix all those issues? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

When was the last time it worked?

Do other VMs boot?

Fusion 11.5 isn't supported on macOS 10.12 hosts, but I'm not sure if we would expect these errors directly or if there's something else going on.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. The copy-paste issue arose a long time ago. The other ones arose recently. I installed Fusion 11.5.3 on macOS 10.12 without problem during the installation. I did not know that it was not supported. In such a case, perhaps the installed should have warned about it or refused to install. I have also other virtual machines installed and they work fine:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 (10K549) Snow Leopard

Is there any way to fix the above issues?

0 Kudos