VMware Communities
schiphol123
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion not using Macbook pro 16 (2019) native (retina...) resolution in Windows 10 VM

Hi Pls help as the MacBook is literally on 2 hour battery life with the VM running as the high resolution almost maxes out the weak internal graphics card with very basic tasks making the product unusable.

Running fusion 11.5.3 and a windows 10 pro VM and the VM ware tools installed (note: I've seen several discussions here on resolution issues saying you have to install and reinstall VM Ware tools on the guest and it makes no difference to below issue)

The issue is that the display resolution in both single window and fullscreen mode of the GUEST is set to HIGHER than the native resolution of the host leading to downscaling and unnecessary overhead.

Native for the MacBook is 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

In full screen resolution VMware sets the resolution of client to 3584 x 2240 which far higher than the Macbook can display.

In 'single window' mode at the maximum size of the window the resolution in the guest is set to 3448x2118 which is also higher than the Mac can display. It is just wrong!

My settings as follows which I believe to be correct:

ACCELERATE 3D graphics ON

USE FULL RESOLUTION OF Retina display ON

SCALED HIGH RESOLUTION: ALL VIEW MODES

AUTOMATICALLY ADJUST USER INTERFACE SIZE IN THE VM ON

VIRTUAL MACHINE RESOLUTION (just for reference):

SINGLE WINDOW - RESIZE THE VIRTUAL MACHINE AND THE WINDOW

FULL SCREEHN - RESIZE THE VIRTUAL MACHINE TO FIT THE SCREEN.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So, why not just change the graphics setting in your Windows 10 guest?  Right-click on the desktop, select display settings.  Scroll down to the Resolution option, and select a different screen resolution.

0 Kudos
gareth1980
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue with Linux Mint on the same computer as you.  You have worded it better than I did!  Do you find everything on the screen of the VM is tiny and really hard to see? 

0 Kudos