VMware Communities
leezamir
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion has encountered an error and has shut down Windows

I have seen threads talking about this error in other settings but the hints/clues do not seem to apply to my issue.

Just upgraded from Mac Pro (2009) to iMac 5K 27" (2015)

Running VMware Fusion 7.1.1 and a copied Windows 7.1 VM that was running well on my old computer

On the new machine, whenever I run Rhinoceros 3D (graphics CAD Package with VRay Rendering Plugin), I get the crash error listed in the thread title.

I enclose my vmware.log file in case it can offer some clues.

Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

- Lee

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Lee, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Thanks for providing the log file... Having that available has made it possible to very quickly understand what's failing.  I've filed a defect report so that our 3D graphics team can investigate further.

Normally for problems related to 3D graphics (as this one is), I'd suggest disabling Accelerate 3D Graphics in the VM's settings (under Display), but I guess that would probably just cause Rhino3D to fail...  I don't have any other ready workarounds, but I'll let you know if the 3D graphics team provide any further suggestions.

Thanks,

--

Darius

leezamir
Contributor
Contributor

The work-around you suggest works. I have not had a crash since.

Turning off Accelerated 3D does seem to limit my ability to use the higher resolutions available on the 5K iMac display.

I will eagerly await future VMware updates and will work with the lower resolution for now.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion. I received the same suggestion directly from VMware customer service.

- Lee

0 Kudos