VMware Communities
mike_yung
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion guest OS' very slow to boot sometimes

Sometimes my guest OS's are very very slow to boot.  Once they finally boot the guest OS's start & run normally.

The way my Mac host is networked seems to have something to do with this problem.  I don't see why networking of the host has anything to do with a VM actually booting but I can reproduce the problem by tinkering with my network settings.

• If my Mac host is not networked my VMs boot right away.
  • If my Mac host is connected to a LAN which also contains a router with an internet connection my VMs boot right away.
  • If my Mac host is connected to a LAN which also contains a router without an internet connection my VMs take anywhere from 3 - 20 minutes to boot.
  • If there is a router on the LAN without internet access I can get my VMs to boot right away by reconfiguring my Mac's network settings & removing the router's address.

I've noticed the time it takes Safari to timeout & say I have network problems is the same as the time it takes my VMs to boot.  How can I correct this?  I'd expect a long delay & timeout from Safari when trying to load a webpage it can't reach but booting one of my VMs should not require internet access at all.  How can I fix this?

I'm running VMware Fusion version 11.5.7 on a MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave v 10.14.6.

I've uploaded a screenshot of what my VM's look like when they are waiting to boot.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If they're MacOS guests, that's not a surprise.  Apple assumes that if there's an internet connection it's gigabit speed (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much).  I see lockups when on very slow connections in a number of apps.  Disconnecting the network springs them back to life.

0 Kudos
mike_yung
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah.  I noticed things work normal when I disconnecting from the LAN which has no internet access.  Silly mac. 

0 Kudos