VMware Communities
pmcarrion
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion freezes when I shut down Windows XP VM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with VMware Fusion.

I've just installed VMware and repaired permissions after that. Then I installed Windows XP Pro using VMware's built-in installation method.

Windows XP installed just fine and I installed VMware Tools after installation had finished (this should be automatic). However, VMware Fusion freezes every time I try to shut-down my Windows XP VM or change its settings in the VMware Settings panel. This also happens when I quit VMware.

I force-quit VMware and deleted the first VM, installed a new one with VMware Tools. I'm still having the same freezing problem with VMware. I have not force-quit VMware again but had to wait like 10 minutes for it to respond.

Does anyone know a workaround for this issue? I'm using the latest VMware Fusion (build 51348) on a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with OS 10.4.10 and 4Gb RAM. Available disk space is 120.47Gb. Everything else on my Mac runs perfectly.

Thanks!

Percy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds strange. I'd try uninstalling Fusion/reboot/reinstalling Fusion/reboot on the off chance that something was messed up during installation.

Tools installation should[/i] happen at the end of an easy install, it's not clear whether you were saying this is a symptom or a suggestion.

0 Kudos
pmcarrion
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried following your instructions but it still doesn't work properly. After uninstall it froze my computer when I tried to restart. I had to hard-restart.

VMware tools are not installed at the end of the easy install. Even if I install them myself my VM acts weird. Automatic installation was a suggestion but it looks like a symptom now.

Still freezes at shut-down. Had to force-quit VMware once again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

RAM check with something like Rember[/url]?

0 Kudos
pmcarrion
Contributor
Contributor

i think i found the culprits: Versomatic and Little Snitch where slowing down my system.

To make sure a did a clean install of OS X and installed VMware Fusion. Everything works just fine now.

Just one more question, should I install Boot Camp drivers in my VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Depends if you want to use any Apple-hardware-specific features (iSight, Bluetooth, different keyboard layouts, etc.)

0 Kudos