VMware Communities
BreenTronics
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra Support

When will VMware release the support to add 10.13 High Sierra as a VM? Currently when creating the VM to add 10.13 for High Sierra, it re-writes the disk to the Apple File System and breaks it.

Tags (2)
54 Replies
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Double-clicking a VM file works, so I was able to do a Help > Collect Support Information in HS, which is attached.

However, trying to select the Virtual Machine Library menu item causes an immediate crash of VMware Fusion.

The Security & Privacy system pref does not show "System software from developer "_____" was blocked from loading."

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

BTW, the third party kernel extensions blocking feature also happens when installing the VMware Tools into a macOS 10.13 VM: so the VMware kexts must first be authorized by the user (in Security & Privacy), before the Tools begin working...

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, running a VM from Finder by right clicking on it, and then in "Open With" chose the VMware Fusion.app  - is working with v8.5.8 - but Fusion crashes if I try to open the Virtual machine Library on a running VM, or after the VM has been shutdown first.

0 Kudos
ConnectixVPC4Ma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just wanted to slip a complement into all the people at VMware there. I have been a user for years and I just think you are doing a great job. i see updates coming fairly regularly and the decision not to charge for the last update was very good. I am looking forward to help fudn the next version just be cause of the customer oriented attitude I am sensing. I hope that some advances on DirectX can be realized, but regardless I am happy with VMware so thank you all for all you are doing have done and will do! Smiley Happy

monkeybagel
Contributor
Contributor

I have been able to launch Fusion 8.5.8 Professional on 10.13 build 17A291m and the VMs run fine so far with the exception of the following limitation:  Fusion does not seem to pass any USB devices to the VM any longer.  I have tried removing the USB device from the VM and re-adding it and it makes no difference.

I will add the following I just discovered - restarting the services using services.sh results in the last line displaying the following error:

VMware Fusion 5824040[28019] <Notice>: Error: Unable to start the USB arbitration service. Error:  [1]

0 Kudos
Julejule
Contributor
Contributor

@monkeybagel:

Did you do anything to get it running? For me, 8.5.8 starts fine on on 10.13 build 17A291m but when I try to run a VM, it reports that /dev/vmmon could not be opened (non existing). I guess the respective kext has not been loaded in my case.

I have reviewed the security settings and at no point I was asked to grant permissions for the vmware extensions. Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

This is just a general comment. As usual, we are discussing two different topics in one thread:

* Running VMware Fusion on a host Mac that is running macOS 10.13 High Sierra beta. The guest virtual machine operating systems vary, but may include High Sierra beta.

* Running macOS 10.13 High Sierra beta in a guest virtual machine, on a host Mac running an earlier version of macOS, such as macOS 10.12.x Sierra.

This seems to happen every year in the VMware Fusion forum when Apple announces the next version of macOS.

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I didn't notice the original poster was asking about running a macOS 10.13 VM under VMware Fusion before I posted.

Perhaps you (or someone) could split this thread into macOS 10.13 "as host" and "as guest" categories, or start two clearly identified threads for these subjects. Perhaps "VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra HOST" and "VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra GUEST".

That would save readers time and confusion, which I've experienced in the past myself.

0 Kudos
detoledo52
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a topic specific for:  "Running VMware Fusion on a host Mac that is running macOS 10.13 High Sierra beta. The guest virtual machine operating systems vary, but may include High Sierra beta."

But instead of opening an specific discussion I got pointed again to this topic...

Should we discuss it here also ?

If Yes... any issue so far ?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I like the suggestion to split the discussion into two separate threads, unfortunately though we do not have many possibilities to do so with the current forum software.

It is possible to detach a part of the thread, but we cannot attach a separate answer to another thread.

If I'm overseeing the obvious then please tell.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

At this point the net is that there is experimental support for 10.13 with known issues.  Production hosts or guests should not be upgraded until both Fusion and High Sierra are GA.

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Library is now working with macOS 10.13 DP Beta 3 - but USB is still not working

0 Kudos
Hermu
Contributor
Contributor

I Xcode 9 running on High Sierra to recognize and install software on a iPhone connected to the VM by turning off USB3 support in Virtual Machine Settings -> USB & Bluetooth.

There still seem to be graphics issues e.g. searching with Safari on a web page (case in point Apple developer documentation web page), the web page turns black and restores to normality once you click on it.

0 Kudos
worldchanger197
Contributor
Contributor

Same here and frustrating but oh well...

0 Kudos
ngalling
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any luck using the Tech Preview on 10.13?

Fusion Pro Tech Preview

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

I have just tried the Tech Preview - and so far it is working fine - also USB is working.

0 Kudos
ngalling
Contributor
Contributor

Are you running the Tech Preview on a 10.12 host? or a 10.13 host?

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

On a 10.13 DP Beta 4 host with APFS - and my guest is Win 10 Pro

0 Kudos
ngalling
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. I've got the same config, but I am getting a “Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to” error every time I try to start a VM - new or old.

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

Did you enable "VMware" under "Settings=>Security & Privacy" as advised when installing ??

0 Kudos