VMware Communities
BreenTronics
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra Support

When will VMware release the support to add 10.13 High Sierra as a VM? Currently when creating the VM to add 10.13 for High Sierra, it re-writes the disk to the Apple File System and breaks it.

Tags (2)
54 Replies
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
ngalling
Contributor
Contributor

I honestly don't see these instructions anywhere, can you link me to it?

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

No, I can't show you the message anymore, because it only appeared once - it was a popup saying something about going into "Settings=>Security & Privacy" and click on the 'Allow' button if I wanted to use the new stuff.

0 Kudos
VictorFMA
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ReneLarsen

No, I can't show you the message anymore, because it only appeared once - it was a popup saying something about going into "Settings=>Security & Privacy" and click on the 'Allow' button if I wanted to use the new stuff.

I've seen this with several different application installations.  To solve this you need this you need to try reinstalling vmware fusion, and when you see the popup immediately (without touching anything else) go to system preferences > security and privacy.  Click the lock to make changes.  On the General tab there should be a tiny notice about allowing whatever program that triggered the warning to make changes, allong with an allow button.  Click allow.  If the installation bombed out with the warning automatically I ususally at this point I usually keep the security and privacy window open while rereunning the installation, and at that point it should install just fine.

0 Kudos
DizzyDave
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem.
Could not open /dev/vmmon

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My installation was fairly stabled on High Sierra until Beta 5. Now the main UI is unstable. A running Guest seems fine, unless I touch the Virtual Machines window or try something like opening even the About dialog.

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I pointed both work, Library/Applications Support to an HFS Plus volume via symbolic link, no change.

I checked for loading KEXTs and got load errors due to missing libraries, but not error 27 (kext consent.) they are loaded by the app and it looks like something is not set up right from the command line.

Then I loaded the app from my Sierra Applications directory and it re-triggered the KEXT-CONSENT dialog! I was able to approve. I thought I had set up an exception for the TEAM ID using the recovery Console, but now realize that was a different boot volume (my system is large and complicated.)

After Allowing the KEXT, things worked a little better, but there are still crashes and display issues in the Virtual Machine Library Window.

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WARNING: the Tech Preview KEXTS are signed with a different TEAM ID requiring to be Allowed separately from the shipping version.

0 Kudos
SK9985
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same issue in Beta 5. Screen flickers (goes black often). I had to deactivate hardware acceleration. Now it seem to be better, although slower...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

For what it's worth, OSX does not like symbolic links for system-known folders - particularly if they're changed while the OS is 'live'.  Can't be sure that at least some of your instability isn't a result of that.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Just in case others bump into this I made a quick blog post about this issue.

VMware Fusion on macOS High Sierra - System Extension Blocked - PlanetVM

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
blnh
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a MacBook Pro in May 2017 with 10.12.6 Sierra installed. I installed VMware Fusion 8.5.8 (582040) with no issues.

Is it safe to simply upgrade to High Sierra? After reading all of the issues people are having, I am leery of upgrading. I need Windows OS more than macOS. I can't afford to be unable to access Windows.

0 Kudos
GHOSTIN7HESHELL
Contributor
Contributor

dariusd

hey man I'm trying to reach out to you and I was wondering if you can help me with a problem in WS Pro 12.5.8 Linux?

​I have an issue on my fedora 25 kde where i installed workstation pro 12.5.8 but when I try to compiled it, it says on the log that im missing vmnet. I have noticed that you provided patches and command syntax to install the patches for someone on your response to their post. I created a post about but no one seem to help me.

​Regards,

​William

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi blnh,

Sorry for the late reply.

For High Sierra you would need Fusion 10 in order to be able to use a supported environment.

it might work with Fusion 8 after an upgrade, but -like you already said- there are a number people who bump into problems.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
blnh
Contributor
Contributor

I couldn't wait and decided I would rather spend $39.99 to upgrade VMware vs. not upgrading and having issues after the iOS upgrade. Both upgrades went smoothly. I don't notice the difference between either upgrade: High Sierra or VMware Fusion 10. I prefer to be using the latest version regardless.

0 Kudos