VMware Communities
BreenTronics
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra Support

When will VMware release the support to add 10.13 High Sierra as a VM? Currently when creating the VM to add 10.13 for High Sierra, it re-writes the disk to the Apple File System and breaks it.

Tags (2)
54 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies, but we can't comment on our release schedule. It's definitely one of our highest priorities at this point, and we're very confident we'll be able to get things working as users would expect.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Well that didn't take long 🙂

Thanks for chiming in quickly Mike, and we understand.

Folks need to remember that you don't get early access to the code - you get it the same day we do.  I expect it may take some weeks this time - this one has all the usual plumbing breaks, and whole new file system to deal with.

The pending demise of 32-bit app support has a longer term implication, and I suspect you'll be picking up a lot of new customers when that happens.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Exactly. We get some inside knowledge, but folks that don't work with Apple might not fully understand how close they keep things to their chest.

I could talk about this topic for hours. Maybe one day I'll write a book about it Smiley Wink

-
0 Kudos
BreenTronics
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, thanks! I know that you wouldn't have early access. Just wanted a general idea! Looking forward to hearing a release date! Smiley Happy

Hermu
Contributor
Contributor

Just for kicks I un-checked the migrate HFS to APFS button and the upgrade went through in VMWare Fusion 8.5.7

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Actually that's good news - any strangeness after the upgrade? 

0 Kudos
Hermu
Contributor
Contributor

No particular strangeness yet - snapshots seem to work just fine. I was able to back out of the broken installation by restoring the snapshot prior to installation. File system conversion + VMWare 8.5.7 don't play nice together - yet.

Safari works just fine with VMWare default settings though download speeds seem slow compared to Sierra - might just be the hotel internet connection.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Cool!  That means that VMWare *only* needs to worry about an entirely new file system and bootup structure.  Carbon Copy Cloner is in the same boat - having to reverse engineer things that Apple doesn't document well.  The latter is going to be critically important for me - no way am I updating to a new file system without a really good backup strategy in hand.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're really excited about the new filesystem. I upgraded my host machine and Fusion continues to run as expected. As a guest not so much... we are lacking some UEFI support for APFS currently.

But I had no issues upgrading an existing VM (and not converting to APFS obviously), and I also even managed to install a brand new one using the Install macOS High Sierra.app.

I wrote about how to install frash last year, and the fix is the same (replacing the .tool from the app bundle with the one from github) but a user has since sent a pull request  (that I've not yet merged with 'main') over here, and it works in my testing:

Installing the new macOS 10.12 Sierra ‘Developer Preview’ on VMware Fusion 8 – mikeroySoft.com

https://github.com/VMwareFusion/sierra-vm-installer-fix/pull/9

-
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Even better, thanks for the update Mike.  Sounds like they've kept the changes to just the filesystem, at least so far. 

Awesome that it works on the host, that's a bit of a surprise given all the graphics changes they talked about.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion 8.5.8 has been released, and includes experimental support for APFS volumes.  We haven't had the opportunity to put the APFS support through much real-world use, so your feedback would be very welcome.

VMware Fusion 8.5.8 Release Notes

Download VMware Fusion 8

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ReneLarsen
Contributor
Contributor

I still having problems open the new VMware Fusion 8.5.8 running on macOS 10.13 High Sierra (DP beta 2), and with converted filesystem to APFS.

The error report I get when trying to launch Fusion is this one:

Process:           VMware Fusion [1442]
Path:              /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS/VMware Fusion
Identifier:        VMware Fusion
Version:           8.5.8 (5824040)
Code Type:         X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:    VMware Fusion [1339]
Responsible:       VMware Fusion [1442]
User ID:           501

Date/Time:         2017-06-23 17:58:28.077 +0200
OS Version:        Mac OS X 10.13 (17A291j)
Report Version:    12
Anonymous UUID:    AE23AA3D-558A-C286-2535-8006E634F09C

Time Awake Since Boot: 150 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:    0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:    EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:   0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:    EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:

*** multi-threaded process forked ***

crashed on child side of fork pre-exec

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libsystem_kernel.dylib   0x00007fffe51df06e __pthread_kill + 10

[SNIP]

REMOVED DETAILS BY wila, see attachment ErrorReport.txt for the rest, PLEASE use the attach button in the bottom right corner next time instead of copy & paste.

The thread is very difficult to read if pasting the raw content of error reports and logs.

[END ... SNIP]

Model: MacBookPro13,3, BootROM MBP133.0226.B24, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2,9 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.38f7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530, Intel HD Graphics 530, Built-In

Graphics: Radeon Pro 455, AMD Radeon Pro 455, PCIe, 2 GB

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D5435324C31473332443450472D30393320

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C, 0x4D5435324C31473332443450472D30393320

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x15A), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.28.0.1a2)

Bluetooth: Version 6.0.0d47, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0

USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus

USB Device: iBridge

USB Device: USB Receiver

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.1

Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 22.1

0 Kudos
dafrank
Contributor
Contributor

exact same error here.

billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just installed macOS 10.13 for the first time on my iMac (27", late-2013). Now, every time I try to launch VMware Fusion 8.5.8 in macOS 10.13, beta 2, update 1 (HFS+), it begins to launch, then crashes. Is this a known problem? I've read of VMware Fusion users successfully running this version in MacOS 10.13 with AFPS, so didn't expect any issue with HFS+.

I'm running it from an external drive via Thunderbolt 2, if that matters. I can provide the error log if it might help.

Any similar experience, ideas or solutions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I haven't been seeing that in my testing.

Can you post the output of Help > Collect Support Information so we can check the logs to see what's going on?

Thanks!

-
0 Kudos
sf1702
Contributor
Contributor

same Problem here. Fusion 8.5.8 not running under 10.13 PB with enabled APFS. Application crashes by starting...

0 Kudos
ngalling
Contributor
Contributor

I have gone through a fresh install of the 10.13 beta 2 (APFS) on a new 2017 MBP, and installed the latest VMware Fusion 8.5.8 (5824040). Fusion is opening without any issue, but the problems start when trying to start a VM that has been moved from a previous machine, or even after creating a new VM. I am getting these error messages:

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

0 Kudos
dafrank
Contributor
Contributor

I found out something:

• I had Fusion 8.5.8 always crashing on launch on 10.13 with the same stacktrace as ReneLarsen posted
  • But today I noticed that the global Fusion Menu bar app actually shows up and -- it is actually working!
  • Using the finder menu bar app I could launch Fusion and start a Windows 10 VM
  • But: whenever I try to open the Virtual machine Library window (Cmd-Shift-L) Fusion crashes
  • And launching the VMWare icon in /Applications still crashes
  • So I assume it's not the base VMWare app itself or the filesystem but the content of the Library window that has a problem (and btw if I read the stacktrace correctly: NSWindowController loadWindow and [NSBundle(NSNibLoading) _loadNibFile:nameTable:options:withZone:ownerBundle: both point to a window content loading issue)
  • I'll try to launch/sleep all my VMs or moving away some ov my VM files - maybe this helps resetting the library folder..

HTH,

David

PS: after launch/sleep of all VMs the Library window still crashes; starting the application still crashes but launching through the global menu or double-clicking a VM-File works.

kobrien
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same problem here.   I believe it is due to the new security system in "high sierra" that auto blocks kernel drivers.   When I went through the upgrade from 8.5.7 - 8.5.8 when running on High Sierra as the host it briefly prompted me to approve the kernel model.   But it crashed before I could approve.  Hasn't prompted since.   See:

Technical Note TN2459: Secure Kernel Extension Loading

0 Kudos