VMware Communities
msyndikus
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion does not initialize during the installation phase on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

I am attempting the install VMware Fusion 12 on my Mac which is running OS 10.15 Catalina.  The installation process hangs during the initialisation phase and I am forced to force quit.  

I have removed the VMware Fusion components numerous times and downloaded and attempted a reinstall numerous times

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you installing as an adminstrator user?

0 Kudos
msyndikus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello dlhotka,

Yes my account on my Mac is set as an administrator.  I was also ask to to confirm my administration password prior to the initialization step.  

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Very strange.  Couple of ideas:

- do you have any anti-malware software installed, or other things that monitor/control kernel extension installation?

- Try a full clean install:  drag fusion to trash, empty trash, reboot, empty trash, reinstall

- try a safe boot, then boot normally and install (hold down shift during startup)

0 Kudos
rrrobin
Contributor
Contributor

There are several reports similar to this one. The least useless seems to be https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Stuck-at-Initializing-VMware-Fusion-12-2... where the user disabled SIP and was able to proceed.

0 Kudos