VMware Communities
dockeradz
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine.

When I try to startup a machine as any user but "admin" I get the error: VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. I set the permissions on the VMWare bundle to be owned by the user and rw for everyone. Is there a guide of how permissions should be set for the application and the VMWare bundles, assuming this is a permissions issue.

This is VMware Fusion Version 2.0 (116369).

Thanks,

Andy.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you check the permissions of files inside the bundle?

0 Kudos
dockeradz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I recursively set the permissions to rw for all users. I'm wondering if there is some other location that my account needs rights to. When I'm logged in as the local admin the VMs have a locked icon and I click on it and they change the ownership of the vmx files. In the non-local admin account that doesn't happen. VMware was installed under the non-local admin user.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I wonder if you need to make sure the bundle itself has execute permissions in UNIX. It is my understanding that one needs execute permission (x) on a directory to see the contents of that directory. Best I can tell, the bundle is really a directory that has some special attributes so Finder treats it the way it does. I suspect without the underlying execute permissions Fusion can't see inside the bundle.

Just going by my UNIX experience, could be that MacOS has another way of handling this.

0 Kudos