VMware Communities
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion black screen on boot

I'm having this issue with VMware Fusion recently when I try to start metasploitable 2 virtual machine which is basically Ubuntu. So once I click on "start up" button I get a solid black screen and that's it nothing else happens. I do not even get the VMware BIOS screen. Things I tried to resolve this issue are:

• Deleted the virtual machine and reinstalled it.
  • Removed VMware and reinstalled it.
  • Unchecked the "Accelerate 3D Graphic" box.
  • Checked the intel VT-x/EPT box.

The virtual machine specification are:

• 1 processor.
  • 512 MB of RAM.

The VMware Fusion is Professional Version 8.5.6 running on MacBook Pro 2016 with touch bar model with the latest update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I got it working guys without getting the beta version.

so apparently the problem was with Siera 10.12.4

The solution to this problem is to open the .vmx file of the virtual machine, and add the following line to it:

mks.enableGLBasicRenderer = "FALSE"

Hope this helps the rest of you guys.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is the hardware compatibility of the VM? Try setting it to 12. This is the latest supported by Fusion 8.x.

You don't need to check the VT-x/EPT box unless you want to run a VM within the VM.

Can you get to the firmware when you select "Power On to Firmware" instead of "Start Up"?

0 Kudos
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks bluefirestorm for reply.

the VM is running on version 12. I also tried "Power On To Firmware" but still same thing. any other suggestions ?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Does it happen if you just make a blank VM and don't install an OS?

Does the BIOS post, and then fail waiting for PXE Boot?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mikero for your reply.

For your first question, I have the following VMs running just fine:

Windows 10 from iso file

Windows 7 from iso file.

Kali linux from vmx file.

The problem occurs on Metalsploitable2 and OWASP_Broken_Web_Apps_VM_1.2 which are both command line.

I not sure if that is what you mean.

The BIOS does not post. Once I click on "start up" a black window appears and stays like that forever, I have attached a screen shot of it.

and of course I tried to type inside the vm but nothing happens.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please attach a vmware.log file from the VM with problems.

Did you install those VMs with the issues yourself or did you download it somewhere.

If the latter can you provide us with the links to download?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks wila.

I did not install the VMs, I downloaded them from these links:

Metasploitable2:

Metasploitable -  Browse /Metasploitable2 at SourceForge.net

OWASP Broken Web Applications Project:

OWASP Broken Web Applications Project - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

as for the logs I had 4 log files inside the metasploitable folder so I attached 4 of them.

one more thing I want to mention is that I had the VM  working just fine before but now it does not work. I do know what happened.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Just gave that VM a shot, no problems whatsoever.

Try re-installing Fusion and rebooting the machine. If you're not even getting the POST screen on a blank band-new blank VM, something with Fusion needs re-installing.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.57.42 PM.png

^^ the POST / Network Boot screen

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.58.45 PM.png

^^ Metasploitable running just fine

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
muhsag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again Mikero for your help.

I tried to remove everything related to VMware.

- Removed VMware itself.

- Removed the Virtual machine folder with all VMs inside it.

- Restarted my machine

- Downloaded a new copy of VMware and installed it.

- Ran the vm and I got the same thing.

this is so frustrating Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
m1k3e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue.  The only VM that still works for me is Windows 10.  FreeBSD and Debian 8 won't start, I get a black screen at launch every time.  I'm also running a 2016 MacBook Pro (without touchbar) on macOS 10.12.4 and VMware Fusion 8.5.6.

0 Kudos
7amdrop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. VM's will start/boot but I get a black screen at launch every time.  I'm running a 2016 MacBook Pro (with touchbar) on macOS 10.12.4 and VMware Fusion 8.5.6.

0 Kudos
m1k3e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Probably has something to do with the new MacBook Pros.  It seems like the VM is starting (if I hit the backspace key the system bell rings, so assuming its booted to at least the bootloader prompt), but nothing is being displayed in the window, not even the VMware BIOS screen at launch.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, just now looked at your vmware.log file.

Not seeing a clear indicator of what is wrong.

But I've got a hunch that it has to do with the intel graphics adapter of your host.

You mentioned you already tried to disable 3D, but it is still on in the VM config, so my suggestion is to turn that off again.

In addition turn ALL features down there off, including the retina support and automatic switching of resolution.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Robert_Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problems here as the topic starter. Most VM's do not work anymore with the same issues. Screen remains black but VM seems to start (can't verify it though)

I have already tried reinstalling VMware fusion with and without the latest updates - both don't work. Tried completely reinstalling the macbook from scratch (including formatting it) but the same issue occurs when the mac is reinstalled with JUST fusion. I now also tried to run a "broken" VM in virtualbox and that works.

I have tried all options possible in Fusion (3d enabled, disabled etc but nothing works.

In terms of timelines - somewhere about two weeks ago everything worked fine. I also noticed Apple updated Sierra about the same time as the issue occured. Could it be related? My mac is set to auto update. Not sure about other macs.

The VM log file doesn't show any errors whatsoever.

Any clues?? This is a frustrating issue.... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yep, if you have an intel graphics adapter like in the 2014 mac mini's then it certainly can be an issue related to the Sierra update.

See:

Re: Get black screen as using import ovf/ova file on VMware fusion Pro 8.5.6

--

Wil

Robert_Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using the latest MBpro (with the touchbar)

Is this something for VMware support? Basically my product doesn't work anymore.... hoping for a quicker fix via a forum than going through a support case individually.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

For this particular case, you might get a quicker answer on the reason for this issue via support.

So yes, I would certainly open a ticket in your case.

edit: To clarify, the forum is only peer support, so users helping other users. As beyond the intel graphics card issue there are currently no publicly known reasons for this behavior, using the official support channel is likely going to be the fastest way to an answer.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
mtkrity2014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information, i updated my mac OS to 12.5 beta and the vmware fusion 8.5.6 is working perfect now.

BR,

Mustafa

0 Kudos
Robert_Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understand - just opened a support ticket. Will see what comes out of it. Hoping for a quick fix. Already spoke to Apple support too but they pointed to Vmware.

0 Kudos
awhitaker_mh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same issue also.  I have submitted a support ticket, and they are looking into it.  This is really frustrating.  I am sure Apple has updated something that has broken this Fusion piece, now it's just a matter of finding out what.

Will post again if I find out any further info.

0 Kudos