VMware Communities
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion and Shared Folders

On a Mac with 16gigs memory, in VMware Fusion 10 under High Sierra, many times when I edited files on the Windows 7 VM, when saving a document, the system would hang for 30 seconds or so.

In VMware Fusion 11 under Mojave, its much worse. I do not have to make any changes to files, just collapsing subfolders will cause the system to hang for a good minute or so.

I had memory set to about 12gigs and reduced it to 6 and it made no difference. Is there something else I can look into to remedy this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your shared folder in localhost?  if not, is it caused by low network performance?

0 Kudos
cantthinkofanam
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issue, and it got much worse with Mohave. It's always been slow, but it's unusable now. MacOS 10.14.1 and Fusion Professional Version 10.1.3 (9472307).

Are there any configuration tweaks, or is this just a bug?

0 Kudos
cantthinkofanam
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to Fusion 10.1.4 and then upgraded VMware tools in the guest and things seem a bit better. There is still the very long delay when first navigating to a shared folder, but subsequent browsing seems faster again. Perhaps equivalent to pre-mohave performance. The full on hanging is gone, at least for now. Virtual box works so much better than this.

0 Kudos
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok it may be too soon to be certain of this. I looked into the Sharing preferences again, the folder called (first name) on my Mac was unchecked. Decided ti test with this checked. While it only brings up the Open with dialog in Windows, it does seem to have resolved the issue. A very minor anomaly remains, when collapsing folders, the screen does not refresh but expanding and collapsing woks.  So I think it was that simple.

0 Kudos
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So much for the fix I thought I had. Its back to freezing/hanging for a minute or so in shared folders.

0 Kudos