VMware Communities
robertmoore37
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion and Growl?

I use VMware Fusion a lot for some Windows only apps, but does anyone know if it is at all possible to link it to work with Growl notifications with OS X? For instance, if an Windows application changes, or alters and I'm using unity I don't notice until I check it for myself. Is it possible for Growl to notifiy me whenever something changes with a specific application. Another example is if I was using MSN Messenger for Windows - because in Windows it flashes on the task bar, but nothing happens unless you are running it full screen or unless you have the taskbar enabled. Any help appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

From the site description, it appears developers would have to integrate or provide an extension point to let a third-party build a growl bridge. I would think something like would come from Apple, perhaps in Leopard, maybe this is why the list of 'growl' apps is small.

0 Kudos
BP9906
Expert
Expert

I agree w/ the usefulness of having integration w/ Growl. I like how Growl provides pop up notifications for apps in OSX. If VMware could either provide an integration point w/ Growl, or hopefully Apple will implement such a feature that VMware will use, that would be great! It would be useful to many OSX apps so I dont see why Apple wouldnt build it in, but all else hopefully VMware can integrate w/ Growl.

0 Kudos
robertmoore37
Contributor
Contributor

Ah well, we can keep on hoping...it would be very useful if they did implement something in.

0 Kudos
srhall
Contributor
Contributor

I have this on my to-do list when things slow down over the holidays. I really want to see this integration happen. I have a few thoughts on how to make it work. Would be helpful to get people's input as to what notifications they might want to see in a fairly typical Windows environment (ex. Outlook, Messenger, Windows notifications, etc.).

0 Kudos
Yaztromo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, if you have control of the Windows source for the application, Growl can be configured to listen for network connections (TCP port 23052, UDP on port 9887). As such, all you really need to be able to do is to send a properly formated packet to the OS X host using one of these ports (and to have Growl's "Listen for incoming notifications" enabled), and Windows apps could send a Growl notification.

Even without access to the Windows source, I suppose you could create a hook or service or somesuch in Windows to forward notifications received from applications to Growl via standard TCP/UDP.

Yaz.

0 Kudos