VMware Communities
TonyPHX
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion / Windows 8 / Shared Folders / System Hang

Running Fusion 5.0.3 with a Windows 8 Pro -64 bit guest VM.  When shared folders are enabled, and ONLY when shared folders are enabled, the system periodically hangs/freezes/beachballs whatever you want to call it.  My MacBook Pro is a retina new model.

The accompanying log message is:

5/2/13 11:51:06.949 AM WindowServer[78]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "VMware Fusion" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

The app named is not always VMware of course, but only get these when VMware is running.  I understand the message above is a symptom of the issue and not a diagnosis of the issue.

This did not happen to me with versions prior to 5.0.3.

Anyone else having this?  Or better yet, anyone find a fix or workaround? (Other than the obvious of turning off shared folders?)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mark_anderson_u
Contributor
Contributor

I have EXACTLY same issue. Driving me mad

0 Kudos
TonyPHX
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

I went so far as to open a ticket with VMware.  My experience was that they were not really hearing me on the issue and they were in a hurry to close the ticket.  The engineer did have me change settings from two vCPU's to one.  I am not sure why this would be related to the issue experienced, but I did note that it reduced the frequency and duration of system hangs.  I am by no means saying they provided a proper solution as I think we can both agree this is a serious and repeatable defect, but for now it is the best I was able to accomplish.   My sanity is somewhat restored, but I am still annoyed that this goes on, and annoyed at the support from VMware being a break/fix model where little to no deeper investigation goes on to truly resolve this defects.  Clearly products like Fusion are not a major part of their revenue, and this the attention it gets is limited at best.

Good luck with your issue and getting a resolution.  If you do get it resolved, I would love to hear what you learn.

Tony

0 Kudos
mark_anderson_u
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tony

Will keep you posted if I figure anything out

0 Kudos
TonyPHX
Contributor
Contributor

Mark,

One more thing from my VMware support experience that I did think was a good piece of advice given.  One of my shared folders that I was pointing to was a Dropbox folder.  The support technician advised that it may be a good idea to not use that as one of my shared folders.  I tend to agree with that advice and did in fact remove/exclude that folder from my shared folder list.  Sorry to share this in pieces, but my memory is not what it used to be.  : )

Tony

0 Kudos
mark_anderson_u
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks tony

I turned off folder sharing altogether. I work in Windows most of time and don;t really need to exchange files. I can use net shares if I do

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos