VMware Communities
DSauder
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion - Vista - No ethernet controller driver

I have a similar issue as someone else had noted, except I use a Bootcamp virtual machine. Starting Vista via Bootcamp works just fine, no problems with networking; however, when I start via Fusion, Vista can't find the ethernet driver and can't install the one that shows up Vista when I boot up via bootcamp (Marvel Yukon). I've tried some different drivers but they all error out the same way (failure to start). Any ideas? I looked for .vmx file but I can't find one on my drive.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Starting Vista via Bootcamp works just fine, no problems with networking; however, when I start via Fusion, Vista can't find the ethernet driver and can't install the one that shows up Vista when I boot up via bootcamp (Marvel Yukon).

It cannot see the Marvel Yukon Ethernet Adapter when running as a Virtual Machine because the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine running Vista uses an Intel Pro 1000 MT Virtual Ethernet Adapter.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Navigating VMware Fusion > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window > Determine the location of a virtual machine's files

Or have a look at the "Where to Find Things... Virtual Machine Files" section of

Have a look at:

Add the following line to the Boot Camp partition.vmx file.

ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"

You can use TextEdit by ctrl-click the Boot Camp partition.vmx file and select Open With > Other... > TextEdit

Doesn't matter where in the file as long as it's on its own line.

Note: Make sure the target Virtual Machine is shutdown, not suspended and Fusion is closed when you edit the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos
DSauder
Contributor
Contributor

Outstanding - great explanation and directions on how to fix it. Worked

perfectly!!

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
rmr0808
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

The problem described above is exactly what I am experiencing, unfortunately I am having a little difficulty in following your directions. In fact, I just not sure where to even start! This is all new to me.

Thank in advance for your assistance!

Mike

0 Kudos
mdelemdele
Contributor
Contributor

This fix works like a charm with a Boot Camp Windows 7 running in VMware Fusion! Thank you!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes this is a know issue with running a Windows 7 Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine which of course while at the present time Windows 7 in any release is not supported by Apple on the Boot Camp partition nor is it supported in any manner under Fusion it still works with a tweak or two. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wham1000
Contributor
Contributor

I'm encountering the same problem with my MacPro, bootcamp Vista. No ethernet controller. Tried to follow your solution but no wmx files instead "Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm'??

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suggest you reread my first reply in this thread and the linked documents as well as the answer is in there!

0 Kudos
wham1000
Contributor
Contributor

Did find it but to no avail. No more message but still no internet. Reinstalling.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Before you reinstall archive and attach the .vmx and vmware.log files from within the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package.

0 Kudos
jwedding
Contributor
Contributor

Just want to say thanks, Woody. Working on RTM inside a Bootcamp VM now thanks to your instructions.

0 Kudos