VMware Communities
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion Transport (VMDB) error -32: Pipe: Read failed

Hi,

after using Fusion 13.0.1 successfully on macOS Ventura, all my VMs suddenly stopped working. They all refuse to launch with an error message "Failed to start the virtual machine". The Fusion log is attached. It shows the error message "VMware Fusion Transport (VMDB) error -32: Pipe: Read failed".

Currently, I am using Fusion 13.4.1 on macOS 13.4.1 (Intel).

Any ideas of what is going wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could try OCLP with AMFIPass, which eliminates the previous requirement to disable Library Validation and AMFI, and is currently in beta (will soon be merged into the main OCLP):

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/amfipass-beta-test

(Works fine with Fusion on my late 2013 15” MacBook Pro…)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Things don't magically stop working all of a sudden. Something has changed between when they worked and now when they don't. So we have to figure out what changed.

Please attach the vmware.log and mksSandbox.log files found in the virtual machine bundle of one of the failing virtual machines so at least we can try to get to more information about what's going on.

These can be found by navigating with Finder to the folder containing one of the virtual machines, then right clicking on the virtual machine and selecting "Show Package Contents". A Finder window will open showing all of the files that make up your VM. The two files can be found there, Zip them up and attach them to a reply in this thread.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you run any sort of cleanup or optimization program (like ccleaner, or onyx), or install any kind of security software (corporate vpn, antivirus, etc)?

0 Kudos
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I haven't run onyx in the last few months. I do not use any other optimization program or antivirus software. The only thing that comes to mind are LuLu and BlockBlock. But these tools have been installed for years now and never caused any problem with VMware Fusion.

I have installed WireGuard for years as well (on macOS, the host operating system) which I use occasionally but never in combination with VMware.

Where do you see a possible link to the problem with the VMs?

0 Kudos
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer. Here come the logs.

0 Kudos
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The two changes I made between when things worked and now when the don't are

• Upgrading Fusion from 13.0.1 to 13.0.2
  • Upgrading macOS from 13.4 (or even 13.3.1) to 13.4.1
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@Dr_VM wrote:

No, I haven't run onyx in the last few months. I do not use any other optimization program or antivirus software. The only thing that comes to mind are LuLu and BlockBlock. But these tools have been installed for years now and never caused any problem with VMware Fusion.

I have installed WireGuard for years as well (on macOS, the host operating system) which I use occasionally but never in combination with VMware.

Where do you see a possible link to the problem with the VMs?

This error can be caused by permission changes, and a lot of the 'optimizing' tools do things that Apple no longer recommends or supports.  Their utility is largely in the past.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your logs are reporting that the CPU in this Mac is an Intel i7-4790K. According to everymac.com, that Intel chip is used in a late 2014 iMac 27", which is not listed by Apple as compatible with Ventura and therefore not supported by either Apple or VMware.

If that's the case and if you are using OpenCore Legacy Patcher to run Ventura on an 2014 iMac, all bets are off. Numerous users have reported issues trying to run Fusion on Ventura. The issues range from the replacement video drivers not having Metal features that Fusion needs to failures of the Apple hypervisor to start. I haven't heard of too many reports of success.

You may need to revert back to a combination of macOS and Fusion that worked for you and contact the OpenCore developers. Don't believe anything the OpenCore boards tell you about things like this being a Fusion problem. If it works on a supported Mac configuration but not on an OpenCore enabled Mac, that's an OpenCore problem not a VMware problem. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I am running Ventura on a late 2014 iMac with OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Fusion worked perfectly fine until the latest updates. This is why it didn't come to my mind that the startup issues might be related to OpenCore Legacy Patcher.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could try OCLP with AMFIPass, which eliminates the previous requirement to disable Library Validation and AMFI, and is currently in beta (will soon be merged into the main OCLP):

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/amfipass-beta-test

(Works fine with Fusion on my late 2013 15” MacBook Pro…)

0 Kudos
Dr_VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh wow! That did the trick. Thank you very much for this valuable hint. Fusion is working again, now running a Win10 VM.
Just to understand things better: So Amfipass is not only for non-metal Macs? I had heard of it before, but was convinced it wasn't relevant for my iMac15,1 (Metal 2). Is there a documentation which clarifies which Macs Amfipass is meant to be used with?

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It’s for all Intel Macs supported by OCLP: especially those (like mine) that had problems after Ventura 13.3. I don’t know if there is any more official info, but if you have questions you can try with the forums, on MacRumors or Discord (less friendly, the latter, however)…

0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Dr_VM wrote:

Oh wow! That did the trick. Thank you very much for this valuable hint. Fusion is working again, now running a Win10 VM.
Just to understand things better: So Amfipass is not only for non-metal Macs? I had heard of it before, but was convinced it wasn't relevant for my iMac15,1 (Metal 2). Is there a documentation which clarifies which Macs Amfipass is meant to be used with?

AMFIPass is only for Intel Macs. Your iMac is an Intel Mac.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos