VMware Communities
danstratton
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion - System software from developer "VMware, Inc." was blocked from loading

On attempting to start VMware I get the message "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory." then followed with "Failed to initialize monitor device."

Looking at the Mac OS X System Prefs > Security & Privacy, I see: System software from developer "VMware, Inc." was blocked from loading. Allow button doesn't work. Tried reinstalling, but still no success. I also set it to "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere" Message and button will not go away, VMware will not load.

Mac OS X High Sierra / VMware 8.5

8 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
danstratton
Contributor
Contributor

I understand what has happened, but still need a solution to fix it. Clicking on the allow button does nothing.

ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

install again.

BTW, you need to be at the machine, physically; no ssh-ing

0 Kudos
danstratton
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstalled - now I've gotten further along, attempts to startup but now "Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory" and then "Failed to initialize monitor device." I admit I am using Screen Sharing to view this remotely. But the install is done locally on the Mac.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Past install you are, OK.  Search on next items - I only had the install to get past, (no remote access!!  Apple was so kind.)

danstratton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
gwr755
Contributor
Contributor

I had that problem too (clicking the "allow" button does nothing) and after much web searching, I ran across a post that suggested switching to another user (one that also has administrative rights).  I did that, and after I switched to another administrative user and clicked the "allow" button, the notification and allow button disappeared as it's supposed to do. After that vmware fusion is able to start guests.  Yea!

0 Kudos
clarksonknight
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the similar issues on Mojave with VMWare Fusion 8.5.9. It was working just fine for at least a week after I installed Mojave, and I've been running VMs with no problem until today. It appeared to start after I rebooted my machine for the first time since my initial Mojave install. It's not showing up as being blocked under Security & Privacy, and vmmon definitely doesn't exist under /dev. This isn't happening on an install, it just... stopped working. I've tried reinstalling, to no avail.

dev1 at MacBook-Pro in ~

$ kextstat | grep vmware

183    1 0xffffff7f84caa000 0x11000    0x11000    com.vmware.kext.vmci (90.8.1) F7FEC1A0-6065-3C60-82FA-CD514D144D16 <12 5 4 3 1>

184    0 0xffffff7f84cbb000 0x15000    0x15000    com.vmware.kext.vmnet (0752.74.38) 8D3E716A-99B9-3729-BFFD-8F799079DB18 <183 5 4 3 1>

dev1 at MacBook-Pro in ~

$ sudo kextutil /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext

(kernel) Kext com.vmware.kext.vmx86 start failed (result 0x5).

(kernel) Kext com.vmware.kext.vmx86 failed to load (0xdc008017).

(kernel) Failed to load kext com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (error 0xdc008017).

Failed to load /Library/StagedExtensions/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.

0 Kudos